What is your favorite wine with seared foie gras?

You? Don’t you own scads of Climens?

Then get some ! [swearing.gif]

Sauternes, Huet Moelleux, Riesling are all good with foie gras.

The 2001 Donnhoff Norheimer Dellchen Auslese Goldkapsel and the 2001 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkapsel are both outstanding if you have them.

A recent 1989 Huet 1er Trie Le Haut Lieu Molleux was fabulous. I have no recent experience with Baumard.

The 1988 Climens has been fantastic almost every go for me (except two secondary market bottles that showed signs of seepage), and it’s our wedding year, so that would be my personal special occasion choice. Maureen, I’m curious why you’ve fallen out of love with it. I’m here for you if you need to unload a few.

Agree!

Such a great wine.

+1, lacks the acidity of the German wines. I also often get a bitter apricot pit taste w Sauternes.

[winner.gif] Personally I only think of Sauternes or other sweet wines as a pairing with terrine
With seared Foie Gras I would drink Fourrier Clos St Jacques or similar
Ps: it is even allowed to spell Foie Gras these days?

I prefer Sauternes with any preparation of foie Gras.

I think the extreme fatty structure is screaming for acidity

+1

+1. I was so sad a half bottle recently broke. The dregs were glorious.

‘01 Climens, Climens, or Sauternes/Barsac?

I do find now that many Sauternes/Barsac come off as clunky (too much sugar and/or too much alcohol for the acidity levels) compared to a fine Riesling Auslese or Vouvray Moelleux or QdC/CdL or Tokaji. But I haven’t found that with certain vintages of Climens and Yquem, like ‘88, and I haven’t had the ‘01 Climens in many years.

Sauternes

I do. The 01 drunk last night just didn’t taste good to me. Absolutely nothing wrong with the bottle, it tasted and smelled just like 01 climens and my friend loved it. But the entire time i was wishing she’d chosen one of the other bottles on offer. I just didn’t care for the flavors

I’m with you, Claus, and the others who chimed in. I like nice earthy burgundy on the rare occasions I do seared foie gras. Gevrey is a good choice, or I have even done a really good Savigny or Irancy with age. A cold torchon is different. I mostly can’t abide sweet things anymore, including wine, but a couple of sips can taste good.

That’s what you get for offering a choice! :wink:

I’m with you, btw. My distaste for sweet things in general aside, Sauternes in particular don’t taste great to me anymore. We opened an '88 Yquem 375 for a dinner party a couple of weeks ago. Everyone was exclaiming over it, but Jonathan and I were not excited. And, like your bottle, the wine was spot on.

I don’t know if this is your issue – but my palate has changed enough that I just find the caramel notes in Sauternes to be overwhelming. I’m holding my remaining bottles til they are really old in the hopes that the sweetness will recede even further – or occasionally serving them to friends who appreciate them. Brought an 88 Sudiraut to a friend’s place for NYE last night, but didn’t end up opening it.

Champagne.

I’m sure you already own some, and while I love Sauternes/barsac with foie gras I believe champagne is best and doesn’t coat your palate like sweet wine. Unless you happen to be serving the foie at the end of the meal which seems less common.