What Kind Of Varietal Does This Sound Like To You?

Lagrein?

That description could fit the 2011 Black Cap Rose of Pinot Noir (5% Pinot Meunier) if it were not served too cold.

P Hickner

Grenache?

Nebbiolo?

Santa Cruz Pinot?

Sirah?
A classic northern Rhone Could work like that.

and it’s a powder?!!? Weird. How does it compare to green tea, and does it make a good iced tea?

First guesses? A poulsard or maybe an alto-Piedmont nebbiolo (from Boca, Valtellina, Lessona, Ghemme, etc.).

Teased us enough already. So what is it?

Sounds a lot like a 2011 Copain Pinot.

Playin’ the player. Smart. [welldone.gif]

Carignan?

Maybe a Santa Barbara Nebbiolo.

It’s powdered tea leaves and you froth it up with 50-70C water (depending on the leaves) and a whisk. And you can definitely make it iced too. Ippodo (not Ippudo the ramen shop) in NYC makes some real good stuff.

Ok, enough suspense. I have appeciated seeing a # of diverse names posted above, I got to meet a few new people online, so to speak. Thank you for that opportunity.

This thread has been instructive to me because it shows some of the ways we think about blind wines. For instance, a couple of you who know what I drink and the producers I buy, you take a guess at Copain. A few others thought about flavors and then based on your experience, you attributed to the flavors a ‘place’. Both of these approaches are helpful, especially in a blind format such as what I started in this thread with giving you only some sensory anchors, nothing else. I love the blind concept, it forces thinking and confronts bias.

So, what was the wine? Well, here’s the story. A few of you know I like to drink a lot of tea, brewing a lot of it in the summer when we have plenty of sun. I also like to drink organic juice, non-concentrated pure and not watered back. I recently brewed up an eclectic tea with the following separate elements:

Cranberry/Blood Orange
Bio-dynamic Chamomile
Organic Mint
Organic Green Matcha
Cinnamon/Cardamom

On its own, the tea was great. But, adding about 1 part pure, organic cranberry juice to the 2 parts tea, it struck me as a wow moment. When it hit my senses, I thought I had stumbled into the most wild, pure CA pinot noir, full of fruit bowl red fruits, with mint, tea tannin, the brown spices and citrus.

With all the oggita this past week in that thread about the Montrachet, and also wanting to engage some discussion and have some fun, thanks for posting your points.

Todd, please move this to “Tea Talk.”

[smileyvault-ban.gif] [smileyvault-ban.gif] [smileyvault-ban.gif] [smileyvault-ban.gif] [smileyvault-ban.gif] [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to start a new addiction today…Frank, please delete this thread; thanks

Nebiolo [rofl.gif] [welldone.gif]

FM3–that sounds like a refreshing summer tea.

You need 7 ban emoticons in order to put forth a valid request. Todd will not be honoring yours.

I know another member on this board, Ted Erfer, he drinks very good tea, we’ll see if he can have some influence on you, Arnie. Lord knows, it seems Nordhoff already has done his damage to you with champagne.

Hey Frankie…