What Portuguese wine are you drinking?

I haven’t had this one, but have been awfully curious about it. Your thoughts/feelings about it? … I’m a fan of the Branco Reserva, also on your list. [cheers.gif]

I like the Coche a lot. An homage to Coche-Dury and made in a more elegant style. Very nice and a lot of people love it, but I personally prefer the Redoma Branco Reserva year in and out.

1 Like

Agree.

1 Like

Thought I’d revive this thread with a wonderful new release from Quinta de Ventozelo, which I’m currently enjoying. Loci, which roughly stands for ‘places’ in Latin, is a blend of five different varieties from eight different sites within the expanse of Ventozelo’s 400 hectares. The largest percentage is of Tinta Amarela (50%), although Touriga Nacional’s trademark violets - both in color and aroma - are very much at the forefront. The blend comes across with the precision of a swiss watch: there is a beautiful sense of elegance, purity and balance here which masks the 14,5% ABV impeccably, with the wine coming across as more aristocratic than, say, Ventozelo’s red field blend, which includes rare old vines of Alicante Bouschet that make it a more ‘masculine’ wine. At 25€ this is a top shelf proposition for Portuguese standards, but I feel it’s priced according to its quality.

2 Likes

Don’t know if I’ve had a wine predominately Amarela.

Dad lavished praise upon this varietal Touriga Nacional from Fonte do Ouro, but I didn’t fall in love with it. I usually prefer Dão red blends to 100% TNs, as the exuberance of TN is balanced by the herbaceousness of Jaen and the rusticity of Alfrocheiro, but there are pretty, charming varietal Dão Tourigas with great sense of freshness. Here the mouthfeel is admittedly silky and refined, with more than reasonable length, but the oak still feels heavy handed on top of a bed of ripe fruit, both of these layers likely covering up the Touriga violets that could be hidden underneath. A bit like when Syrah is missing its savoriness. This should improve with time provided the oak integrates, but for now I’ll keep having the white entry level from Fonte do Ouro, which has long been a favorite of mine.

1 Like

Paired some simple grilled pork loins with a 2018 Grande Reserva Rosé Bruto Natural from Quinta das Bágeiras. Although Bágeiras’ Mário Sérgio is very much a Champagne nerd, this could not be more Bairrada. Aromatically there is underripe red fruit - apple skin, pomegranate, lingonberries. Very high toned. The palate has a sharp acidic attack, following by a volumous expansion of intermediary bitterness and end palate sourness, all Baga austerity. It’s a sizeable endeavour, impressively structured, quite rough both in its general rustic character and its gnarly youth. Bubbles to admire rather than love at this point.

3 Likes

Druida Tinto 2018 paired with ceviche and a Portuguese paella. Made from Touriga Nacional, Alfrocheiro and Jaen sourced from 30 year old vineyards in the Dao. Granite soil at 500 meters elevation. Bright ruby in color exhibiting flavors of cherry, spices and pepper. This is a low intervention wine that is quite expressive, fresh and elegant. Another winner from Nuno Mira do Ó.

2 Likes

Scott, I’m not aware of there being such a thing as a Portuguese paella, so you’ll have to tell me the recipe!

We attended a catered dinner with friends. The chef described it as a Portuguese take on paella. I don’t have the recipe unfortunately but I am planning to contact chef with the request. I do know that it contained rabbit and chicken. Delicious.

1 Like

One of my favorite domestic QPRs, from the hand of Anselmo Mendes. Red fruit, pine tree and earthiness on the nose, with medium-high acid and a slightly rustic finish. Unoaked, it’s a throwback to the classic Dão of the 1980s, and a winner for under 10€. Drinkers of Alentejo and Setúbal wines will find this bitter and watery.

1 Like

Lovely wine.

2 Likes

My second favorite Soalheiro after the Primeiras Vinhas. An excellent value.

1 Like

Just bought a bottle of the Soalheito 2015 1518 40 year anniversary blend. Waiting to try it.
Also got some Mouchao 2015, the best since 2011 IMO.

1 Like

This Quinta dos Cozinheiros Lagar is a Bairrada in all but name (it lies slightly outside of the appellation, being classified as Beira Litoral) and a miracle of freshness and balance for 2003, when Portugal was particularly hit by forest fires. VA blew off over the course of 2-3 hours, revealing wet earth, pine tree, moss, a melange of bright gooseberries and rich, succulent dark fruits, lovely balance and acidity. The aromatics are mostly Baga, but the palate is less austere and more suave owing to the Castelão (an old school blend from the days when Baga failed to ripen appropriately). Paired beautifully with grilled veal cutlet with chimichurri sauce.

1 Like

I own a couple of bottles Tomas. What is your view of the drinking window for this wine?

Drink up! It wasn’t any better than my last bottle two years ago.

1 Like

Another fabulous vintage for one of the greatest Douro whites. Gorgeous florals and sumptuous fruit but firmly non-tropical (ripe citrus, apples). Buttery White Burg-ish-ness with a rounded texture and volume that is decidedly more warm climate (14% abv), balanced by fine acid. A wine for salted cod or even poultry.

4 Likes

My friends arrived just as the waiter popped the cork for me on this, so I forgot to take a picture of the wine itself. Doravante (Bairrada, 2019) is a Cercial-Bical-Arinto blend from Nuno do Ó, whose identifying tags as a winemaker seem to be tension and energy. This had gutsy, mouthwatering acidity and dryness, begging for food; cool and fresh on the nose (sharp tangy lemon, green pear, river pebbles). Perfect foil for our grilled groupers.

2 Likes

100% cercial from Luis Pato. Had this at a restaurant last summer and immediately went out and bought a few bottles. Not giving much on the nose at first but it opens up to almonds, honey, and slight petrol. On the palate, slightly bitter, waxy, floral, and citrusy. Delicious and great with food!