What producers are you suprised dont get more mention on WB?

Kenny Likitprakong - Hobo, Camp, Ghostwriter

Thanks Matt Brown for introducing me to these wines.

Maison Ilan.

newhere

+1 on both of those. Particularly Dublere: He is the “only” American truly making wine in Burgundy, and merits more attention despite not seeking it.

I can agree with PYCM. Also, Bernard Moreau.

But to me there is an entire category of wine that amazingly never gets discussed on this board - non-trophy Bordeaux. Have wines like Gloria, Meyney, Ormes de Pez, Phelan Segur, etc., etc., etc., ceased to exist?

You wacky jokester you!

I just assumed it was a typo:

Not sure if that is tongue and cheek. There are certainly other Americans making wine in Burgundy and some of them, Chris Newman for instance, have been there for quite some time.

Many names have been mentioned. Here’s another: Pousse d’Or. Although they pop up somewhat regularly on this board, I’m always surprised by the fact that Pousse d’Or doesn’t get more press. They have excellent holdings and make beautiful wines, many of which are still quite reasonably priced (compared with Lafarge, d’Angerville etc) and frequently go on sale.

I’m also shocked there’s not more discussion across the board of Austria. In my view, Hirtzberger, Prager, Alzinger, the Pichlers, Knoll, etc are making some of the finest wines on earth, and almost invariably they can be found for less than $100, often less than $50. Yet you see very little discussion of them.

I don’t believe Chris Newman actually makes his wines – he has others who do that for him, just as others tend his vines. I’m ready to be corrected as to other Americans in Burgundy who actually make their wine, but I know of none at this point, since Kellen Lignier’s departure. So I stand by my original comment with the following clarification: AS FAR AS I KNOW, he is the “only” American truly making wine in Burgundy, and merits more attention despite not seeking it.

This discussion is a bit counter-intuitive and self-defeating: Wines we really like but that don’t get a lot of buzz (which keeps the prices down); isn’t that a good thing?

[wink.gif]

Gilbert Picq in Chablis
Domaine Faury in St. Joseph
La Lagune in Haut-Médoc
Benjamin Leroux in Côte de Beaune

Ryan just beat me to it, but the entire country of Austria does not get nearly enough recognition on this Board considering how great their rieslings are. Wines by folks like Hirtzberger, Prager, Nigl, Nikolaihof, etc. are literally some of the best whites in the world, but you’d never know it on this Board.

BTW, just an observation as opposed to a criticism, but if anyone has any doubts whatsoever about just how California-centric this Board is, this thread certainly confirms that in spades.

Cornu (Ladoix, Aloxe-Corton and SLB) and Maume (Gevrey-Chambertin) - broad ranges of fairly priced, old-school red Burgundies for the long haul.

I’d throw Arnaud Ente (Meursault and Puligny-Montrachet) into the Clair camp - gorgeous wines seldom discussed, but the prices take your breath away.

Not sure, but I do know that his response in this thread would be Clos du Bois, phonetically speaking of course.

Gaja

Joguet

Drew Family Cellars

Chris, why don’t you tell us how you really feel? [snort.gif]

…oh, and Ravenswood.

No, it’s some sort of digital sound recording protocol.

Great point.

Spot on.