What’s with absurd markups at restaurants?!

My shop draws the line at Bring Your Own Ramen.
[smileyvault-ban.gif]

What’s with absurd markups at restaurants?!

m1-money-suppy.png
blackrock.png

So, rip off the other guys and pass the savings on to you?

[just joking around — your idea seems pretty reasonable to me]

1 Like

Agreed, Greg has really twisted the facts here. It was $35.

1 Like

Hey look. All the usual suspects are back. Like a bad roach infestation.

Very simple; If they gouge, DON’T GO !! [soap.gif]

1 Like

I listened to this podcast the other day, which included healthy discussion on markups on wine lists

https://www.guildsomm.com/public_content/features/podcasts/b/guild_podcasts/posts/wine-program-management

If the topic is really interesting, it’s not a wasted hour. I enjoyed it, learned something, and will keep an open mind when presented with a list.

That wine list is indeed expensive, I’d have a hard time finding something I wanted to buy. But I assume the food prices are equally high, so it’s all part of the territory. If you’re at all into Riesling, the 2013 Brundlmayer Lyra is outstanding. Otherwise I’d probably go with the 2016 Barthod Bourgogne.

Mea culpa - my memory isn’t what it used to be in old age. It’s all downhill at 40.

Hadn’t realized Andrew was on this thread - ignore is such a wonderful feature. I’d pay $35 - no, $40 for it.

You are just upset because the customary Chinese Restaurant POS (Point of Sale, not Piece of Shit) software calls it cockage.

“Deals” at IALW:

63 RC
17 Mugneret Gibourg ruchotttes
12 Dureuil-Janthial Maizières

Is someone else going to cook it for me at the grocery store too? Season it? Include sides?

C’mon… this is an absurd argument.

The pandemic has screwed the restaurants but when you see wines at three times retail the impulse to give them biz fades away.

3 Likes

restaurants make a significant portion of their profit (as they operate on razor-thin margins) on booze. the same as a shot of Jack and some fountain Coke is immensely marked up compared to the $25 750mL bottle – of course it is. no profit, no restaurant. you have the option to opt out of this by paying the corkage fee or by drinking water.

1 Like

Mate, I run a restaurant.
Just being ironic.
Pardon my warped sense of humour.

2 Likes

I think this is a bit of an urban myth. Only 30% of our turnover is derived from beverages and in Australia this is quite typical. The Gross Margin for food is higher than for booze in general.

2 Likes

It appears the wine list at TIALW has just two reds from the Loire, both
Sancerre rouge.

Interesting.

I did note the Janthial

The lack of aged wines confused me quite a bit too.

However, in the end will go with a Huet Clos du Bourg at $120 (wholesale $28…so pretty close to 300% yay!) and one “steal” from a favorite of mine, the 2004 Marc Sorrel Hermitage for $280. Happy to pay for them aging it.

Anyway, I get it, I am paying corkage to bring a nice champagne. Just wish there was a bit of a middle ground on these things.

I am too cheap, instead of Ruchottes I’d probably get Mugneret Gibourg VR selling there at the normal wine-searcher price these days.