What’s wrong with me - I don’t like zin anymore

Two words: Giuseppe and Luisa

RT

If numerous dissertations have not been written on the psychology of wine enjoyment, well there should be.

I find my palate to be very cyclical. Over exposure to any one thing – even the greatest wines – tends to drive me away. Then sometimes, after the requisite cooling-off period, a single positive experience will bring me (sometimes manically) back to it.

Along these lines I sometimes make (internal) pronouncements or take actions that in hindsight are just plain stupid. For example, after a string of bad aged barolo experiences, and looking at the prices aged Bartolo Mascarello fetches these days, I decided to part with a bunch of mine. Then a 1990, decanted half a day and served with osso bucco with a few other wine lovers, had me questioning my sanity. Yes the proceeds were far greater than I would pay for the wine, but still I do regret selling them. (Thankfully left some behind.)

Speaking of zin…I haven’t had one in a while, and last night at a “sponsored dinner” I tried the Hartford Family “Hartford Vineyard” 2017 (old vine) zinfandel for the first time and it was just delicious – spicy black pepper, brambly, alcohol in check. Yum! I really need to revisit my “I love zin as long as it’s Ridge Geyserville and with BBQ” policy.

My advice: Give it some time, and she will come back to you.

But it might be a symptom of something more serious. I’d see a doctor if I were you. What if suddenly you stop liking Champagne next? Or Burgundy?

If you think there’s only so many ways a wine can taste, try Burgundy

I agree! I find myself enjoying more wines with nuance, complexity and evolution in the glass more now than ever. The carbonic maceration movement is catching on right now and I had an amazing Grenache from Breaking Bread Winery in that style last weekend.

I think there are simply cycles to the whole thing.

Long cycles. I LOVED Zins in the 1980s and 1990s, cycled away in the early 2000s and have never been back. It didn’t happen overnight but coincided with a couple of Sonoma trips and perceived efforts to change Zins in to Port.

No doubt there’re “balanced” Zins somewhere beyond my normal stomping grounds. I don’t usually turn down tastes at parties or tastings. None have ever called me back.

Once you fall for Burgs and restrained Pinots, you never really get over it.

RT

I think I must prefer variety to varietal.

Is there anybody who only drinks wine made from one type of grape?

Perhaps there are!

This is somewhat similar to that old drinking question: would you rather drink your favorite wine every day, or drink a random wine every day.

I’m in the random column.

Perpetual pinot pounding probably wouldn’t provide me with enough pleasure.

[cheers.gif]

Unlike Anton some would say I’m in a rut and don’t prefer much variety - after all I’ve been married 37 years.

Zin is my go to wine - it’s what got me started on my enjoyment of wine back in the early 1980s and I can always find one to enjoy with or without food.

But I do taste a lot and find other wines I like.

In fact a couple of weeks ago I had a terrific grenache - A Tribute to Grace 2015 from Santa Barbera. It’s light, had some nice fruit and a little minerality to back it up - I had it with Vietnamese food but it would go great with Thanksgiving dinner.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot more to wine than Pinot Noir and I probably open/drink 5+ non-Pinots for every one.

But an ethereal Burg?

It’s the stuff dreams are made of.

RT

Hey, I went to Australia in 2000 for a month. Tasted Shiraz every day for the whole time. Came back and sold most of my Boredeaux!

On, that, we are in 100% agreement.

It is the epitome of vinous pulchritude.

Popped the 2009 Lytton for $hit$ and giggle$. Will admit to liking it more today than release up until a few years ago. I still find this a richer style of Lytton than in years past, but it has firmed up a bit and starting to take on some enjoyable tertiary notes. The American oak profile is still pronounced, however. So I’m wrong/right.

I get it. Lytton is not your thing. It’s still a great wine.

I don’t recall which podcast I was listening to during a flight the other day, but the interviewee was completely through with the almost religious wine taste wars. The one quote I vividly recall is “drink the wines you like, and don’t get offended by the wines other people like.”

I’ll try to do better for my part.

Love me some Dolinsek. I’ve had some 2012s and 2013s lately and they are drinking well.

As I found my palate turning away from domestic wines about 10 years ago, zins and CA pinots were the first to go.

Went to zapfest in Frisco a couple years ago. Nice venue right on the bay. Had a great time but it was ruined a bit for my wife when someone in the stall next to her started upchucking on the floor. The event definitely draws it’s share of recreational drinkers.

I went about 20 years ago and tasted some great zins.

Too many in fact - that’s the last time I got sick from drinking too much.

We used to go the Rosenblum quarterly open houses a couple of times a year with 32 wines to taste, food with a band and I never had that problem.

I have always favored Zinfandel with my absolute favorite being Opolo Vinyards - Mountain Zinfandel. My daughter gave me a bottle a few years back for my birthday . I loved it so much that I became a member of their Opolo Wine Club and had the Wine shipped to my home in Massachusetts. If anyone here has tried Mountain Zinfandel, I would appreciate your thoughts both positive and negative. [cheers.gif]

Agree 100%. Opolo Mountain Zin is one of the few reasonably priced zins that has fruit without being overly jammy.