What’s your “definite buy” in 2020?

I’ve winnowed my mailing list purchases to a couple of boxes of mixed Carlisle (heavy on the white wines), 1 box of mixed Cayuse, 3 Quilceda Creek cabs, a few bottles from Betz, a box or so of mixed Walter Hansel (mostly Chardonnay), and a case of two Tablas Creek Rhone whites for summer quaffers.

In addition I have been trying to increase my vintage champagne inventory and am keeping an eye out for '08 Dom and Taittinger Comtes.

Finally I will likely pick up a few CdP and domestic pinots on an opportunistic basis.

Howard,
Why in 2021 or 2022 do you think the tariffs are temporary?

Trying to buy less young wine and more old. Practically had to re-mortgage this year after stocking up on 2017 Burgundies for my daughter’s birth year. But producers I am looking to buy more of in 2020 include:

• Saint-Charmant (Champagne)
  • Gonon
  • Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre
  • Older Bordeaux, esp. Figeac, Montrose, Pichon Lalande
  • Philip Togni Cabernet
  • Bernard Faurie
  • Cédric Bouchard
  • Lafarge

William & Mary cab, mixed Carlisle zin/syrah/grenache, and some BerserkerDay wines

I am well past Robert A.'s freshly turned 54 so my buying is even more restrictive. Assuming there is no 100% tariff on wine from Europe, my plan is similar to Sarah’s. I am buying old world wines with 10 years or more age on them. I do buy some that are younger and less expensive to have as daily drinkers. Most of those come from Spain and Italy. And I am always buying Champagne when I can get it at the right price. I buy very few new world wines and I am only on one wine list now - Thomas PN. On occasion I buy a couple of bottles of Quilceda Creek from my nephew’s allotment.

Realm
MacDonald
Maybach
Riverain
Becklyn
Myriad
More Realm

2018 is the best vintage for Napa since 2013 and perhaps only behind 2013, 2002, 1991 and 1974. You can throw a dart.

Magnums

Also…
Bedrock
Beta
EMH
Berserker Day stuff of interest, including those damn Flannery steaks.
German Riesling, especially more GGs. Want to backfill more 2015s in particular (wedding anniversary).
Champagne (Cedric Bouchard, Vilmart, want to explore other producers).
Anything else that piques my interest, including old world wines (Spanish and Tuscan in particular) with 10-15+ years of age on them to see if I’d like to diversity my collection more.

2018 Cabs, 2016 Barbarescos & 2016 CdPs.

2018 was across the board spectacular. I think 2019 will be very interesting, too.

• 2016 Barolo/barbaresco for sure. I fear the region will see another price jump which only encourage me to stock up, before the good stuff is out of my reach.

Other then that I will try to stock up on some aged bordeaux: Sociando, Lynch Bages, Leoville Barton, Gloria and the like.

I’m also searching for some Hudelot Noellat Grand cru’s but I haven’t really found any appealing offer yet. I hope that changes in 2020 even though it may be a bit much to ask.

16 Barolo for sure. Otherwise my normal allocations.

Allocations from:

• Roy Piper
  • Greer
  • MacDonald
  • SQN, NOK, Third Twin… and Faethm
  • Saxum
  • Andremily
  • Booker

Not sure what, but something from BerserkerDay 11 next month! champagne.gif

Ed

Wine.
Oh, I see…

Apart from the usual suspects,
SA Chenin Blanc, eg Alheit
Spain, other than Rioja

Focusing on Myriad Cabs and Sem’s, Bedrock Zins and Rose, Rivers Marie Pinot and Cab’s, and Realm Bard and maybe some Cabs. Maybe some Kutch Pinot and Pax Hillside. Also good deals on JJ Prum, Italy, Bordeaux.

Ohhh, and Berserker Day.

If you haven’t tried the Bourdignon Chenins, they are exceptional, especially the top cuvees. I like them well beyond Huet IMO, and I like the Bourg bottling quite a bit.

I buy relatively few wines in every vintage. I’d like to focus on backfilling, plus buying more $40-80 sweet spot wines (honest and soulful old-world wines, including villages Burg, base-level Champagne and Rhone, Austrians, etc.) that I reach for so often. But here are some that I almost never miss and very likely will buy in 2020:

Ridge Monte Bello
Kutch Chard (any of them)
Alzinger Riesling Steinertal
Prager Riesling Wachstum Bodenstein
Bruno Clair Gevrey 1ers, Chambolle ‘Veroilles,’ and Vosne ‘Champs Perdix’
Lafarge villages and 1ers
Henri Germain villages and 1ers
Vincent Dancer villages and 1ers
Chevillon 1ers
Gouges 1ers
PYCM St. Aubins
Bouchard Perrieres
Benetiere Cote Rotie
Krug 168eme
Taittinger Comtes 08
Vilmart CdC 12 (and 08 if I can find it)

In terms of backfilling:

More 02 and 08 Dom
More 01 German Riesling
More 99/02/05/10 Red Burg
Backfill Rayas/Pignan
Backfill Drouhin Clos de Mouches
Backfill Pichon Lalande and Vieux Chateau Certan (and more old Bdx generally)

'16 Barolo, but with a 100% tariff that probably won’t be doable…

assuming the tariffs hit, my only definite buys will be the domestic lists/clubs I’m on/a part of.