What to expect if you were to sell your collection?

Clarification: I’ve sold non-wine collectibles through Heritage where the seller’s commission is negotiable depending on the value of the consignment.

I’ve received mailers from Heritage with info about consigning wine, and IIRC there is no seller’s commission on wine consignments. That might depend on the value of the consignment, but you could contact them and ask.

There’s also this thread from a few years ago:

I’ve sold wine through Heritage a few times, I can confirm that there are no seller’s commission

On the matter of taxes, wouldn’t storage fees count as deductible against any gains?

I didn’t think about Heritage or wine.com
Either way, not considering fees, it seems that the estimates that were given were met in auction.
I never bought the wine to make a profit, I just wouldn’t want to lose a lot of money on it if I went through with it.

I probably have 80-90% of all receipts for the wine. I don’t buy cases of wine, I usually get 2-6 bottles of each thing. So I wouldn’t have any case lots, but there would be horizontals and verticals of producers.

Does anyone have experience with Brentwood? I believe they are located near Portland.

I sold a bunch of wines from my collection a couple of years ago and a couple of thoughts.

A lot of folks when selling wine are focused on buyer’s commission (good for seller) vs seller’s commission (bad for seller) when I was really only focused on the overall commission. Some certainly feel differently but my feeling was and remains that folks that were purchasing the wine I was selling were generally sophisticated enough to take any Buyer’s premium into account in determining the price they were willing to offer for a wine. So even if the Seller had zero commission with Auction House A but the Buyer’s commission at Auction House A was greater than the overall commission at Auction House B (which had some Seller’s commission), in most cases I would net more with Auction House B.

Reputation of the selling auction house will also likely play a role in how much money a Seller is able to realize. If an auction house has a reputation for selling bad bottles, doesn’t do appropriate diligence on inventory they bring in, etc., it’s likely to have a negative effect on attracting buyers and depress the amount that a buyer is willing to spend on a bottle. When I chose the auction house I ultimately went with in selling from my collection, they had a higher commission than one of the other auction houses that I was speaking with, but a better reputation which factored in my decision.

1 Like

Do you mean Brentwood Wine Company? That’s a sister company to Benchmark and they should both be in Napa. I’ve bought from them before, with the fulfillment taking place through Benchmark’s systems

It’s not that hard. I have every wine currently in my cellar in a spreadsheet, with how much I paid per bottle including tax and shipping.

If you die the basis in the wine updates to today’s values, so there shouldn’t be any taxable gain if these wines are sold upon your death. I was recently the Executor in a Will, so I’ve been dealing with this personally for the last two years.

Chris

lol you must be new to talking about alcohol laws in America. neener

1 Like

[rofl.gif]

Thanks for the shout-out and clarification JM. And lots of great comments to OP. At the end of the day, Wine-Searcher provides retail prices (but not what things actually sell for after discounts), CT is great but primarily self-reported community based buy prices. Official actual appraisals (mostly used for insurance purposes) are expensive and sometimes massage the values for their intended purposes. All of the well known auction houses will be glad to provide a free estimate of value of what they think they can get you for your wines, and each has a slightly different method of charging seller’s commissions, or buy-in/listing/marketing/photo/shipping costs, etc. But auction is probably the best way to get the most actual real money for your wines, from any of the established and reputable houses. And there is a healthy trade for lesser-known/less popular regions, less popular vintages, etc. You may not get what you paid for, but you will get good money back.

1 Like

Russ, Russ, he’s RMann . . .

LOL that’s been a good long time nickname. When I used to travel a lot, I would be “RMann in the field,” or “RMann in Japan,” etc…

I sent a list of wines to Benchmark and they gave an offer about 40% below what I valued them at. Vinfolio came in at about market value to sell through fixed auction with 15% selling fee and free shipping. The wines all sold at or above their offered pricing.

Vinfolio has an auction? Or did you mean Winebid? You are right about Benchmark. Their valuation was WAY below my estimated value.

It’s fixed price but I think they called it fixed price auction or something like that. They price things at the high end and things seem to sell.

Good stuff. Their customer service has been terrible so I’ve stopped buying from them. And you are right about prices being at the high end.

I am a WineBid.com fan boy. As much as I hated selling my wine, the circumstances sorta forced it. I had aprox. 3700 bots at Wine Bank. This was Feb 2020 and I was going to travel to SF to ship many bottles back to Honolulu and sell the rest. Guess what, Covid. Not wanting to travel and not wanting to continue paying storage fees, I sent a spreadsheet to Elizabeth at WineBid. She agreed to take the wine and they even had a no-fee pickup.

It took just over a year but all my wine sold through with a few exceptions. Some observations. The Burgundy and collectable French wines did very well. CA mid 2000 pinots eventually sold but at a discount to what I paid. Oddball Euro wines sold at reasonable prices.

All in all, I was happy with the experience, glad about the money achieved, but sad about some bottles sold. 1999 Mag of DRC Echezeaux!

BTW, no financial interest other than the wines they sold for me which was months ago. Great customer service.

Aloha,
Mark

1 Like

I have received my best prices from Spectrum

Organize your receipts. You (or your heirs) will want them to prove basis. I recommend putting your wine in CellarTracker (if it is not already there) and put basis numbers in CellarTracker. Your basis generally includes not only what you paid for the wine but also sales tax, shipping costs, tariffs, etc., that you paid for the wine.