What to pair with American Wagyu Ground Beef?

I think zin is a good bet, too. But I have to say that this thread is really a Berserkers classic. OP says. “I have A, B, C and D. Which should I serve with this food.”

And the responses are: K, L, M and N.

But even if the A, B, C, Ds are spelled out by the OP, burger’s taste can transform from one taste spectrum to another depending on if/what condiments are added. Plays a huge part in what wine(s) can recommended.

Ha! So true and I am guilty of multiple offenses!
But OPs don’t always know that not just the answer, but even the question itself is what we judge it to be. neener

You guys did better than I thought. I told my girlfriend that no matter how I phrased the question, 80% of the answers would be “champagne.” neener

I really like acidity to cut fat, especially with something as marbled as Wagyu, so I’d go with Syrah if it’s cooler-climate or a young, fresher Bordeaux.

(To stay true to the Berserkers stylebook, my “absolutely ignoring what you’ve posted” choice would be rosé champagne - palate cleanser and refresher rather than trying to go punch-for-punch with the meat.)

If I hadn’t read and obeyed the OP…

Champagne you say?

The best-laid plans of Berserkers. We had guests over to the back yard (masks, distance - she’s a doctor; we were as safe as we know how to be) and I opened a 2016 Tynan Syrah based on comments here. Hilariously, it turned out…they don’t drink wine. HOW DID WE NOT ASK THAT? We’re out of practice. They asked for bourbon on the rocks instead. Apparently it went well with the burgers. The Tynan was sublime.

[rofl.gif]

A perfect ending to the thread!

On behalf of doctors everywhere, I apologize for these heathens.

1 Like

I hope they’re not good friends. Time to take them off of the list. [thumbs-up.gif]

Was the Waygu noticeable to you in the burger? While I love Waygu beef, for me, once it’s ground into burgers at some fat level, it’s not much different than any other beef. What was the fat level?

Noticeable to me? I’m an innocent about beef, so I’m not sure if this is about it being wagyu, but I’d say I notice that it’s richer and has a more satisfying texture than other ground beef. No clue what the fat level was.

Recycling the question with a few variables

I found a Montafi Zin paired well in the past with Wagyu burger w/ carmelized onion, reduction sauce and Irish Cheddar.

This time I will repeat the recipe without the cheese, as it made the taste profile a bit over-berserkered. In this case, what would you recommend as a wine pairing?

Reading the words ‘juicy Loire Cab Franc’ made me drool - I think it’s the perfect choice for such a rich, fatty meat

A little late on the scene, but thicker than usual patties and cook only to rare, almost tartare…serve with the Burgundy.

Yup, I have been serving a 2013 Rully Rouge with waygu burgers utilising thicker patties cooked to rare on a very hot skillet, The acidity cuts through the fat.

It’s a consistently amusing thing about WB. Most WBers seem to profess both of the following: (1) I always or mostly drink wine with food, and (2) most of the world’s cuisine doesn’t go with wine and should be consumed with beer or tea, or if wine, then Champagne, rose, or minor/obscure white varietals. But then by far most of the wines people talk about buying and drinking are major category reds or chardonnay.

None of which adds up, but it’s just how we roll here.

go with the big juicy cali cab. Did this a couple of weeks ago and it is awesome. One of the true American fod matches made in heaven. Don’t overthink this one…

Sounds like a taste off of (1) Loire CF, (2) Rully, (3) Cab and (4) Barbera (my entry after reflection).

I thought these burgers were excellent and didn’t even need cheese (but did use cheddar and on one batch) or ketchup etc. I also got the 50/50 ones (with the Kurabota pork) and thought those were only slightly better than 90%+ lean beef I’d buy at most stores