What to pair with gyros?

cool … I’ll go with the Lagrein (and maybe a bottle of something else, too :wink: … maybe a bottle of Ch. St. Jean - Fume Blanc - Lyon Vineyard or maybe a 2001 Mas de Boislauzon CdP … I know neither is ideal, but I really want to pull from my cellar rather than go shopping)

going with the aforementioned Lagrein as well as a chilled 2005 Barrel 27 - Syrah Rose

will let ya’ll know how it goes.

Well?

well, the gyros were a little late getting to the table last night, so the Rose was gone before the gyros were served … the Rose was very good – i preferred it over most rose’s that i’ve had

i did manage to hold the Lagrein until the gyros were served and it was an excellent wine and an excellent pairing. the lagrein was low in alc. and had a nice balancing acidity that helped cut through the richness of the lamb. the lagrein had a strong balsamic presence, which i thought helped it pair well with the slightly sour tzatziki sauce. this is a pairing i would revisit again, and i wish K&L still had some of that lagrein in stock because it was an awesome wine for only $16. thanks to all those who contributed their suggestions! [cheers.gif]

So how’s this for reviving an old thread. Gyro tonight and I decided to go Loire Cabernet Franc in a 2015 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses and have to say that while it worked quite well.
D97623C3-B4D5-477C-81DD-4EBA0953FC8C.jpeg

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the dumpster dive, JC!

I love gyros but I think they pair best with a Coke. I can still taste it the next day unfortunately. That’s probably why I almost never have them.

Pepto

I don’t know, but that looks more like a salad than a gyro. Maybe a less ripe vintage would have accented the greenery better [snort.gif] .

Beer.

Was going to comment in a similar way. I’ve never seen so much lettuce on a gyro. The ones I get around here are 95% meat and 5% onion, tomato and sauce.

I usually go with a rose, I find it works well with garlic sauce and tzatziki. Sherry was also a good match the one time I tried it.

Just last weekend I had the Edmunds St. John “Bone Jolly” rose with takeout from the place down at the corner. Was great in the summer heat.

1 Like

Yep. A big rose is the best match.

1 Like

Scope.

Raki

1 Like

Mission. [cheers.gif]

Gives me an idea for a mag-sized tasting event. [wink.gif]

Fries

Nice seeing Dick’s name pop-up again. I’m sure a Margarita from Maria’s would wash down a gyro nicely!

1 Like

Usually go with southern Rhone of decent quality. Sometimes zinfandel.

1 Like