What WHISKY (Scotch) are you drinking?

Had this this past weekend (damn good) (Balvenie 50)

Looks like they have changed their label now to this -

Also had a glass of Glenrothes 30 which was good, but not as good as the Balvenie 50.

41 posts in and no one is doing independent bottlers single cask / cask strength stuff? We sell a LOT of those so someone must be drinking them…

Apparently they dont post here…

Tell them they now have a place to post.

And for heaven’s sake - do a tasting event over there with those Scotches! what’s wrong with you, man?

We can’t taste on premises (yet!).

Just to be clear for those who may not know: I am talking about companies like Scotts, Cadenhead, Chiefton’s and Murry McDavid who buy casks FROM single malt distilleries and then age them in THEIR warehouses and later bottle them (generally without filtration or dilution but also usually without blending the barrels) and offer them for sale.

That chart explains a lot. I have been drinking Lagavulin 16 and Highland Park 12. I drink a hell of a lot more Whiskey than Whisky, though.

Oh, I do!

I have the following:

Isle of Skye 8 yr old (appx. 40% Talisker)
Highland Park 14 yr old, bottled for Beltramo’s (46%)
Talisker 18 yr old
Blair Athol 11 yr old, Signatory (46%)
1999 Laphroaig, Signatory (58%)
Lagavulin 12 yr old “Special Release” (56.4%) - a friend brought this over from the UK, not available in the US. Completely blows the doors off of the Lagavulin 16.
1989 Speyside, Macallan-Glenlivet, Cadenhead (60.3%)
Bruichladdich PC5 (63.5%)
Bruichladdich PC6 (61.6%)
Bruichladdich PC7 (61%)

I have another bottle each of the Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Macallan-Glenlivet, and PC6 which I keep in my offsite wine storage.

Also, unchillfiltered is the way to go with single malts!

First person who says “Party at Larry’s house” gets smacked! [drinkers.gif]

K&L currently has the Lagavulin 12yr Cask Strength for $69.99 and the 1993 Lagavulin Distiller’s Edition for $105.99.

That is some tasty whisky all right. Almost as tasty as the Laphroiag 30 yo I had a sip of the oher night. I will be sad to see that bottle empty…

For a change of pace from my usual Islays I like the Signatory Caol Ila 1989 (all right, it’s still an Islay but has a much ligher body than Lagavulin or Ardbeg).

“For a change of pace from my usual Islays I like the Signatory Caol Ila 1989”

We had a customer buy five bottles of that. I asked “Gifts?” “Nope, don’t wanna run out!”

That’s a different bottling (57.9%), but definitely looks appealing.

However, I need more Scotch like I need a hole in the head…

I wish I had friends like that. Although the smokiness/peatiness in this bottling are actually less than in many others, the light body makes it appear to be even stronger as there’s less stuffing to absorb it…if that’s the sort of thing you like, this is the place to get it.

Wow, there is certainly a lot of stylistic agreement in this thread!
My favorites are Laphroaig, Highland Park, and Lagavulin, depending on mood.
Though it will be almost entirely Lagavulin 16 for a while as I just picked up a well-priced case.

I am also on the Macallan 18 bandwagon, although when on someone else’s dime try the 25 flirtysmile

Usually buy Oban too, and recently discovered an Oban, in a green tube, I think it was Distiller’s Edition, which is incredibly good.

Just received a bottle of this at our X-Mas work dinner last night!

This is the best Lagavulin to me!
It was a more limited release several years ago.
This is a very good price.

That Balvenie 50 was such a trick.
The bartender poured a small amount out of Springbank 30, Springbank 40 and this Balvenie 50.
This made the Springbanks taste like jet fuel.

What a great wee dram of Balvenie 50 from a generous bartender.
Absolutely spectacular stuff.
However, at a little over $10,000 US per bottle, I am not stepping up to the plate.
I will just drink it when I go “you know where”

This is a really interesting thread to read in terms of people’s experience with great scotch. I find as a culture, at least in America, we are slightly behind the curve as a whole in regards to what whiskey has to offer. But, I think we’ve come a long way and are continuing to do so. Mind you, I am no expert. I noticed some great scotches mentioned thus far. Some of my favorite single malt scotch distilleries are:

Bruichladdich
Benriach
Duncan Taylor
Murray McDavid
Springbank

You probably know, but Bourbon is whiskey, Scotch is whisky. Spell-checkers often don’t know.

-Al

Drinking Chivas 12 from a airplane bottle currently…