What will you HAVE to do differently in 2016?

Oh, and I need to buy more wine and discuss it less with my better half in 2016 :wink:

ā€œOff site storageā€. [basic-smile.gif]

My wife is blissfully unaware of a bunch of Ponsot, Ambroise, and Huet. [highfive.gif]

Try to find some aged Cabs to drink with some family, continuing trying new wines from producers I already enjoy, maybe learn more about finding good deals on Burgundy/Bordeaux locally if possible. Continue not buying CA Pinotā€™s that are price $70 and above, just not a market I should be in but I have enjoyed seeing what all the fuss/chatter about but should know my ā€œplaceā€ a little bit as I get older. But along the same lines, drink more great wine with the ones you love! :slight_smile: [snort.gif]

One more thing I plan on doing in 2016, based on a lot of peoples ideas of not purchasing more and owning too much (assuming they will come to the conclusion they need to sell on CC), is to pick up some bargains. champagne.gif

Stop doing business with Premier Cru.

Cellar expansion and balancing - 2014/2015 goals were to expand to 600-700 bottles. And get to target ranges of Barolo/burg/German Rieslings/domestics/others

Thatā€™s done and for the most part have been quite successful. The laser focus allowed the painful decisions/temptations to drop off many domestic lists possible.

2016 will be focused on two areas:

• backfilling medium aged wines. Iā€™ve been collecting for 6-7 years, so still not nearly enough ages wines from ā€œbuying on releaseā€.

• increasing average bottle price. Replacing consumed daily drinker types with long aging / high quality bottles. Doesnā€™t mean cases of DRC unless I win the lottery but higher quality overall. Need to drink less for health so would like to up the experience when I do drink them.

Should be a pretty easy resolution to keep, seeing as they wont be around in another month.

Iā€™ve got to buy a lot less, both in terms of dollars and bottles. Big surprise, right?

And the ā€œshock and aweā€ January bombardment of offers is the first place I have to hold the line.

Do, or do not, there is no try. We shall see.

One cool feature of CT are the metrics. I looked tonight after seeing this thread, and while my spend and bottle purchases as a whole is down 10% from last year, I am also drinking 20% less than last year, too. So, I gotta fix that ratio and that will mean I have to buy less, starting in January. Sucks, as I donā€™t have many lists left I buy from but I need to make some adjustments. ugh.

Ugghh I am not happy with this thread, actually not happy with myself after doing the metrics on CT, I MUST buy less in 2016. Well right after the Falltacular auctionā€¦charity does not count [cheers.gif]

I need to start drinking more of the Bedrock that is overtaking my cellar.

You should get in touch with the guy from the ā€œBedrock 2015 Winter Releaseā€ thread who need to get his hands on a bottle with a few years on it:

I suffer from buying too many bottles that need a few years before consumption.

I realize that winemakers save $$$ by releasing early, and the savings get passed on to us (in theory). However, the consumer now has to deal with providing ideal storage conditions, usually for years, before enjoying the wine.

Rioja can solve this problem for you: already ā€˜pre-agedā€™ and good to go, as our nice friends in Spain still do the aging for us Yanks.

ā€œPlanningā€ on giving up all mailing list wines. Just way too much wine from certain producersā€¦

Funny how these comments are so similar to years past. I cut my purchases by over 50% last year, so it can be done. Iā€™m also out of storage space and would like to eventually get out of my $1K per year locker (ouch!). I need to watch the mailing lists and be more selective. And yes, like many others have stated, more champagne.

Yep. Iā€™ve cut a lot, but needs to be cut more! The sheer quantity of some producers is astounding.

I had started a spreadsheet in Nov 2014 that was tracking my spend. My goal was reducing spend from $15 to $8k. I had been doing well until I decided to do a short trip to Napa. Well, $5k later,
I honestly felt the pressure of snapping up the 12/13 vintageā€™s.
My cellar now sits at around 1500 and I gotta slow down.

First lucky break: I will be on a business trip on Berserker Day in 2016.

Like others I need to cut back. My strategy is to cut down on the mailers and when I purchase the emphasis needs to be more old world.