What wine to pair with morels

I fully support Sarah’s claim… God’s delight!

(you may also use premox Burgundy… champagne.gif

I was delighted to get so many knowledgeable and specific recommendations. How about recommendations of wines that pair with another group of Alaska edible fungi - the bolete family (as known as porcini in Italy). I am new to the wine pairing having just inherited a collection but I know quite a bit about wild mushrooms.

Here is a pic of birch boletes - a very common wild mushroom in the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska.

What wine goes with them
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG

Adam – I’m not familiar with the flavor of birch boletes – my spots in the Cascades run more to Admirable Boletes, King, Queens, Zeller’s. How does the flavor of the birch bolete compare? Dried porcini in stews are a great match for Nebbiolo wines (Barolo, Barbaresco, and others). Simply roasted or sauteed fresh Kings or Queens are a good match for old red wine of most varieties, or young red that isn’t too heavy. IME, Fresh sauteed Admirable Boletes work well with white wine with citrus notes to match the lemony flavor of the mushroom – I like these with seafood. I don’t generally cook Zeller’s fresh unless they are prime specimens, IMO they are very nice dried mushrooms but not standouts fresh.

Doing the vin jaune recipe tonight with fresh morels. Serving with an Oregon Pinot Noir.

I think someone hacked your account.

Nice! That’s the way people should talk about morels. We get some from a friend who forages a bit but most Oregon morels come from burns. Still, a bit of butter and fish sauce is all they need. Although I am definitely going to try the morel, capon, and vin jaune cream sauce.