What Would You Bring If Instructed "Best White In Your Cellar" ?

I agreed cuz receptions are all about chatting with friends, or meeting new ones…and I’d want to be drinking something interesting. But for the best wine in my or someone else’s cellar, I’d rather be sitting down so I can contemplate the wine(s) (in between chatting with folks I’m sitting near to).

Plus, walk around affairs where there are some great wines open…the great wines seem to be drunk in a flash, which is a shame. That’s less likely to happen with a sit down dinner.

Interesting question. Did a quick inventory check and was surprised to find the contenders were Spanish.

Emilio Rojo 2011 Ribeiro, Do Ferreiro 2010 Albarino “Pago de Xoan”, or a Lopez de Heredia 1996 Rioja Blanco Tondonia Reserva.

Reception wine makes me think that it will be really easy to overlook these wines, and chances are that with ‘the best white’ you end up with a mountain of Chardonnay competing. So go different: Krug vintage; aged CSH; a great sweet Riesling or/d’Yquem/vin de Paille; Chave

Although the best dry white in my cellar is the 1973 Chevalier-Montrachet “Les Demoiselles” from Louis Latour. to a tasting I would bring the 1976 Remoissenet Corton Charlemagne “Diamond Jubilee” – but only on the condition that no-one be allowed in who habitually refers to “Corton Charlie”, “Chevy” or “Monty.”

1996 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre

Me too. I have completely eradicated white Burgs from my cellar, whether ultra expensive or not. But I’m glad to have a go at those brought by others… [cheers.gif]

My favorite Burg last night may have been the '04 Le Montrachet, Remoissenet, that was understated but graceful, with coiled power that emerged with some (properly counter-clockwise) swirling. And a '99 Leroy Auxey-Duresses showed very well too. A Sauzet '02 Puligny 1er was tired and dull and sliding away fast, IMO, but I’ve forgotten which cru it was.

For my contribution, my first thought was Rhys chardonnay, but I brought Rhys recently to Boys Night Out, so I picked Mount Eden Estate 2007 Reserve chardonnay. Less taut and minerally than Rhys often is, but this wine was outstanding in its powerful, lemon custard way with a nutty nuance. Rich but not heavy, I liked it a lot.

Other Californians showed less well, IMO. Marcassin '02 was controversial, to put it kindly, with its tarry essence of charred oak. I know this reaction was not just me, but was shared by several who I tasted that wine with me. There was an Aubert chardonnay that was too over-the-top for my taste, but I don’t recall vintage or other details. A Kistler '04 seemed tired to me, and may have been better a few years ago. Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard, I think it was 2010, was excellent with fresh, zippy flavors. After the Mount Eden, I liked it best among the California wines on the table.

A mag of 1996 Raveneau Clos.

Either 1981 or 1982 Dauvissat Clos. The Raveneau 2007 will get opened this Sunday.

Would be either an Austrian Riesling
F.X.Pichler “Unendlich” or “Kellerberg” 1998/99
or a Montrachet (several)
or Haut-Brion blanc 1985

Coche Corton or Ramonet Montrachet.

I’d maybe pull an Oakridge 864. Not the grandest but I think it would hold its own, be interesting and surprise a few people.

2005 Shibumi Knoll Chardonnay

I was going to say I’d have brought the 2004 Dagueneau Jurancon Jardin de Babylone…but that would have been best after the red wines

My best have to be 2010 Burgs, Bouchard Corton Charlemagne and Fevre Les Clos.

Interesting that you preferred the Mount Eden to the Ceritas Porter Bass, maybe the ME’s extra few years aging played a part.

Any Aubert

92 Leflaive Chevalier Montrahcet.

Got a bottle of '29 Batard in great condition, otherwise a '69 Leroy Montrachet or a Coche Corton…

I don’t play in the big leagues like you guys do, so my “best wine” of the cellar would have to be a 2011 Château La Nerthe white CdP. Could still use a few years of aging though!

This thread really has me green with envy! Something to strive for, I guess!

Mark (in Ottawa)

Agree with all the Raveneau ideas.

If I knew everyone was going to bring Raveneau, I’d bring a 2004 Pernot Bienvenue Batard Montrachet. Not sure how truly excellent it is but would love to try it.

Cheers,
Doug

As opined above, this is the last setting I’d ever consider bringing my “best white” to…

For me, they are to be savored either (with my wife) or with a couple of other people with a simple meal. Otherwise, they get lost in the crowd…bigtime…or have to be carved up so many ways that no one gets to focus on it. Not a way to repay bottles I carried back on a plane…20-25 years ago…

Sorry…but…I feel that way about most “best” wines I have…not to be placed into a competitive tasting or social event with other trophy wines…or shared with a dozen people.

Conceptually, though I wouldn’t consider bringing it, I’d think of some Niellon Batard- and Chevalier-Montrachets from the '80s, particularly '86 which is for me one of the best WB vintages ever…an Ampeau Meursault-Perrieres from 1986…or a 1990 Dauvissat Les Preuses. A 1996 Clos Ste. Hune would be in the running…as would a Georges Vernay Coteau de Vernon Condrieu from 1994 or 2002 and an Albert Boxler Sommerberg riesling grand cru from 1996 or 1998.