What's the best $20 dollar bottle you know of?

Bonanza is an awesome recommendation because it tastes exactly like Caymus, but I’m not sure how it will go with the Caymus already in the mix. These guys are all Caymus / Bell Gloss, big bold Napa fruit bomb (and whatever the hell Belle Glos is since it sure as hell doesn’t taste like Pinot) lovers. For the $80 and $200 wines, I’m trying to get rid of the bottle of Caymus I have, so not really looking to move off that, and for the $200, I fortunately already have the 2011 Monte Bello open, which was the genesis of the idea.

Educated Guess.

[rofl.gif]

I actually like this wine quite a bit for an everyday drinker. Great recommendation!

Oh, yeah, as to the trickery!

Obviously a 50-60 dollar range Ridge Estate cab…comparing price levels.

Then, toss in a Ridge Litton Springs zin.

Use a Rioja blind against Ridge

Not sure where I’d find a properly aged Rioja for 20 bucks…

Some vintages of Louis Martini Napa are quite good for closer to $25.

One recommend above in Post 16. The 2010 just got released and is about $20.

It’s the American oak that provides the common thread. It’s actually my biggest issue with Ridge.

You absolutely can.

https://www.mndfinewine.com/wines/Marques-de-Riscal-Rioja-2005-w3176497yu

https://www.buyritediscountliquors.com/sku51284.html

I agree you aren’t showing much or proving anything if you vary so much in style and wine type.

Having age on the Monte Bello is smart, since a too young wine of a type that needs age can suffer in a comparison, especially with less experienced people. I’d split that and the Caymus up into different tastings.

Monte Bello against a Ridge Estate Cab would be interesting, If they are the same vintage. That should tell you something about their selection process, choosing which barrels from the same vineyards go into which wine, at two very different price points. Otherwise, I’d want to compare it to Mount Eden Estate or similar and a solid lower priced Santa Cruz Mountains Cab, Like Cooper-Garrod, Domaine Eden, Woodside, House Family, etc.

For Caymus, to me it taste like a bottom shelf mass production Napa Cab. The '16 Avalon is about $15 and James Suckling rated in 93 points. (I’m browsing K&L.) I see the '17 Martin Ray Napa at $20, also 93 from JS. '17 Liparita Rutherford for $20 (clearance from $60???).

Allegrini Palazzo della Torre or maybe a CdR would be very drinkable at around $20, maybe St Cosme or Beaucastel. Not sure if the idea is to trick them but for the $80 wine you could pick something that is way too early, like a tart, young Burgundy. Most palates would pick the cheaper, ready to drink $20 over the young Burgundy.

It’s going to be easier to find a bad/unpleasant $200 wine, focus on that!

Although you can find plenty of solid Zins and Italian reds for $20…Philip’s suggestion of Palazzo Della Torre is a good one. Also a lot of solid Cote du Rhône for that price

Vina Alberdi

Yes, the La Rioja Alta Vina Alberdi is a good one that can be as low as $15 at Costco…Also the LdH Cubillo was a good suggestion, as was the Allegrini Palazzo della Torre Valpolicella, and any number of Chianti Classicos or Chianti Classico Riservas (Monsanto, Felsina, Villa Cafaggio, etc.).

Of all of these, I think the Allegrini is the best option for your lineup and audience. I suspect the LdH and almost any Chianti will seem too thin, light and acidic if tasted side-by-side with any big New World wines. I get the “Ridge vs. Rioja” American oak comparison, and if that’s the goal I’d go with the La Rioja Alta Vina Alberdi over the LdH Cubillo, since the LRA has much more pronounced American Oak. But again, I’d do the Allegrini.

Best $20 or so from California - how about Ridge Three Valleys.

Good call on Educated Guess.

More like $30 (Total has current version for $28), but yes it is a fine bottle of wine and a relative bargain

Wine-searcher shows the 2017 available at $25

Obsidian Ridge Cabernet punches way above its weight in my opinion and is available on Wine Searcher for ~$25.