What's the worst well-rated wine you've had this year?

Ignoring damaged or tainted wines, my worst would have been any of the three Rhys syrah I had this year. I’ve already posted on them, so I won’t repeat what I said.

Either that or they’d go out and buy forty cases of Charles Shaw, so either way it’s a great idea.

It’s not that I share your dislike of Rhys syrah, but I give you much credit for being willing to post something in this thread other than the de rigeuere “overripe Parkerized” rant.

If I didn’t save some for day two, I would be in full agreement here. Wound incredibly tight, I’ll be waiting quite awhile before opening another but I look forward to it

I’m being totally honest. I stopped paying any attention to ratings around the time I started making wine. I do look to see reviews of my wines on Cellartracker, but I read the ones without points as carefully as I do the ones with points. If I am interested in buying a wine I haven’t tried, I like reading a bunch of Cellartracker notes to get an idea about the wine. But I haven’t looked at a “professional” review in many years.

I had the same thought! [cheers.gif]

A bottle of 2015 Seghesio Zinfandel was brought to an informal family dinner, so I decided to try it. I used to drink this wine, but this was garbage.

My note:

• 2015 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (8/18/2017)
    Purple color with offputting nose of boysenberry and alcohol. Flavors of buttered popcorn, purple fruits and spice. Some harsh notes on the finish. Light+ bodied with mild tannins. Industrial plonk. 14.8%abv (70 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Tim Fish:

This is loaded with zesty blackberry and raspberry fruit, offering a vibrant structure and appealing accents of toasted sage, white pepper and licorice. Drink now through 2027. 102,000 cases made.

90 points, Tim Fish, Wine Spectator (Mar 2017)

Flawed wines aside, I had a BAD bottle of 97` Williams Selyem Rochioli Pinot Noir after many absolutely fabulous bottles over many years. It was so off/ different from the norm, I suspected Rudy had something to do with it.

2008 Lillian Blue Label Syrah.

The pile of refuse known as 2007 CdP. Garbage.

Since I bought it as a result of a thread here that contained the most over-the-top hype for any Champagne I think I’ve even seen on WB:

2006 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne Chardonnay
10/21/2017 - I WROTE: 89 points (Edit)
Not impressed at the moment, a bit foursquare. This had better improve since I have five more bottles.

Not sure which thread youre referring to Nick, but I have posted a few times on this bubbly with consistent high praise. Ive enjoyed it to the extent of just adding more to the stash. Sorry your bottle was not what you wanted; hopefully, the others will be.

I don’t mean to quibble, but if the worst well-rated wine you’ve had is “worth” 89 points, that doesn’t sound so bad.

I’m sorry for your disappointing experience.

Suffered thru a '13 Belle Glos Las Alturas Vineyard Pinot Noir (CT90.5) at the Oceano Bistro in St Louis. The food was fine but the wine was closer to an over ripe jammy syrah fruit bomb than a pinot. Might appeal to some but not to us.

Maybach Materium… not my style… way over the top Cult…

2007 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva Alban Estate Vineyard - More gooptastic than the 2005 tasted with it, remarkably intense, cloying, and viscous Luden’s cough drop fruit with an unfortunately long finish, I find it distinctly unpleasant as each sip elicits an involuntary, visceral wince. It is still very primary and youthful, though, so it at least has that going for it.

So, 95-97 pts?

Is it just me or does anyone else just not understand Verite? I’ve tried them new, and with a decade of age, and still I cannot I see what is so 100pt about them, especially at $350 a pop. I only can assume they are en vogue, rather than incredible.

This year. I’ve been exceedingly luck this year actually. Previous years of TNs in my CT history have plenty of 55-point highly rated wines.

Ten Minutes by Tractor “Wallis” Chardonnay, which I picked through a “lukewarm” (rather than “great” - 92 pts) review that complained about it being high acid. Seemed just the ticket. No mention in the review, of course, about the ridiculous amount of vanilla oak… acid was just fine but. No way will the fruit survive that level of winemaking, and it was pretty painful already.

On the flip side, had a nice 79 point Pichon Lalande 1990 that was just lovely claret :slight_smile:!