What's your approach to posting TNs here?

Paul, you can subscribe for just a month, at something like $12. Worth it if you want to go back and grab your notes.

I love reading notes and wish more people posted them. Recognizing that, I’m trying to post more of my own…even if they’re just brief impressions vs. fully formed literary masterpieces. I hope others get something from them, as I think of posting them as giving back to the community here. Hard to tell what others think of them, though, as they often get no comment.

Yet I was searching today for introductory advice on Madeira and found some very good postings. It may not satisfy the enthusiasts but even the limited info can really help novices.

Oh, absolutely. I just find TN’s to be a very easy and convenient starting point for many of those discussions.

Personally however, I’m more apt to read posts that concern issues other than TNs and simply assume that posting my own TNs would just contribute to the noise.

This is an interesting thread however. There seems to be a majority opinion that people want more notes. And there seems to be some genuine interest. I’d be curious to know about that - what is someone’s main purpose in reading notes - i.e., entertainment, checking on your own opinion vs someone else’s, seeing what people think about current drinkability, etc.? In other words, is it for discussion or curiosity only or to actually act on the information?

I read notes for all three: discussion, curiosity, and to act on the information. The most common way I “act on the information” is to add somebody as a favorite taster on CT, which is my go-to reference when making buying decisions — with heavy emphasis on the opinions of those I’ve marked as a favorite taster. And, to be marked as a favorite taster of mine doesn’t necessarily mean I believe I have similar palate preferences as that person (although it might); rather, it means I think that taster has a consistent palate, with which I am familiar, and therefore their TN’s are helpful to me (I trust them).

i try to write a note on every wine i drink on CT, and post here when I think it’s somewhat interesting. Enjoy reading others notes and wish more were being posted.

i do enjoy posting Loire/Jura/Burgundy notes on ebob though…

I used to post tasting notes a lot in Squires. I think I soured on all that with the closing of that board to non-subscribers and now only post when I feel motivated or it’s something a little weird or really spectacular.

I also, frankly, am a bit less into wine than I was 5 years ago, mostly because of growing children, diminished resources, etc.

Same here Matt.

I post notes on wines that I feel some in the WB community would be interested in reading. Plus, I cannot afford a cellar that I can age wines or very long therefor I drink most of my wines within 3 years of release. I’m probably good for an early look at best but feel that can be of value to those waiting to follow the wines progression.

TNs are subjective as we all have different palates anyhow so the value is based solely on whether your palate agrees with mine or not. But that can be said about all TNs righ?

It’s no my problem if nobody reads them due to the wine. That’s their prerogative. If one person gets value from them so be it, it was worth posting.

Craig;

Funny you should post this today as last night I actually tried to post a TN from CT to WB and couldn’t figure out how to do it. I think I’ve done it before to WB, I know I did to ebob. I know you do it (or I think you do). I had a great 2007 Turley Dusi and 03 Le Cadeau the other day that I was going to post about whether people here like domestic or not [stirthepothal.gif] .

I don’t post because, at the tender age of 69, my palate has degraded to the point where I don’t discern the elements that make up the total experience. (My wife’s palate has not declined similarly, so if she points out a flavor or aroma I can usually notice it.)

So a note from me would essentially be, “I liked it – tasted like a real Corton; 91 points,” without any specifics, which I doubt is helpful.

One thing that might be helpful is to report a successful Audouzing of a 1966 Beaune Cent Vignes from Pierre Besancenot last night to celebrate a good report card from the doctor. The first small pour at 3pm looked like weak tea and smelled of acetic acid. But by 6:30, it had darkened to the color of a wine 30 years younger, with recognizably basic Beaune flavor and aroma. The acetic acid was still there, but quite diminished relative to the fruit. Based on its holding up through dinner, I wish I had opened it an hour earlier.

I should add, however, that, some months ago, Audouzing the other bottle (purchased at auction a year ago) was not successful. Weak and sour, it never bloomed. And I should also add that, given my good mood, I was probably bound and determined to enjoy last night’s bottle.

Ralph, to me THAT (the last two paragraphs) is a useful note: how did a wine do in the real world?

Once you post your tasting note check the box next to the note and click on “Publish Tasting Note” (see example below)
image.jpg
Once you click that button you get this screen:
image.jpg
Choose where you want the note to go (Wineberserkers) and the choose if you want to include a label shot from CT.

Then click on Publish Tasting Note. The next window will look like this:
image.jpg
At this point either click on Preview or Submit.
the next window will be on Wineberserkers if your browser allows pop-ups.

It’s real easy.

Yeah, that’s what I did…

I often let Jeremy post on on dinners now he part of our group and is much funnier than I am, and as I don’t always have the time and can be slow getting things up it is much easier. [cheers.gif]

Having said that 50% of my drinking still comes from other sources, and I currently have a big backlog of notes I have to get around to typing up. Hopefully soon I will get a chance…

Brian;

Thanks much. I was missing it. I appreciate the help. Just did 2 TNs and that should make Craig happy :slight_smile: even though they are not European.

07 Dusi was my first Turley and I loved it. Got the GF shitfaced on her birthday (couldn’t finish her dinner) but it was all good. Just realize hat CT beta goes live on Monday so you will have to learn the process all over again. hitsfan

I used to post at least one note if not two a week, probably more in the Ebob days than here, but hardly even jot anything down anymore. The two main reasons are-

1. My kids demand a lot more of my time these days.
  2. I’ve realized that I get more enjoyment from a bottle when I can just sit and drink without having to analyze every aspect of it.

I’ve gone through about 20 bottles the last six months and don’t think I’ve I even wrote a single note in CT.

This has also been a just a sub-par year for wine enjoyment, wines that have blown me away in the past have really not done much for me lately. [cry.gif]

For those of you that have said they post but don’t get any comments, rest assured I do read every note here and appreciate all of them.

Brian, thanks for those detailed cross-posting instructions! I’ve been searching for this as well.

why don’t you do something to change that then. wouldn’t by you posting notes about the california wines you drink be doing something to change what you perceive is an imbalance in TNs here?

There’s a lot of burgundy discussion here because people started threads discussing burgundy. I remember people posting threads wondering why more burgundy discussion didn’t happen and then people made sure to reach out to those that were on eBob that didn’t immediately come over.

as to the OP, I generally post notes on wines that I am quick enough to write down. I have a massive backlog of notes that I still need to post to CT and I don’t post ones that were from two+ years ago.

Tooch -

Post your Loire notes here, especially Chinon and Saumur! I do not recall ebob having that much action on Loire reds when I played over there, pre-wall.