Whats your favourite wine characteristic ?

Oh, we’re doing that. OK. Atmospheric Terroir!

Tar & Roses

Yeah, because being meek and wishy-washy is usually my problem! Okay, here’s my stance:

I love 20 year old Napa cab as secondary and tertiary aromas first begin to creep in, but while the fruit is still fresh and delicious.
I love Oregon pinot noir because the bright red fruit and acidity give it so much verve without getting too sweet.
I love good super Tuscans that marry hints of bordeaux and napa with that trace of Italian funk.
I love finding a hit of mint in some Napa cabs.
I love the combination of mousse, cut, and richness in young vintage champagne (under 20) and prefer it to older vintage champagne.
I love the combination of stone and unbuttered popcorn in great young white burgundy.
I love the way Riesling smells with its green apple, honeysuckle, rock, and hint of petrol.
I love that just sharpened pencil smell that, mixed with a hint of shoe polish and unsweet fruit, defines Bordeaux for me.

I’m very disappointed in your response. I thought for sure you would say: kitten fur.

I thought he’d just say “Brett. 4-Ehtylphenol. The horse shit one. That’s the strain of infection, I mean flaw, I mean attribute that I like most.”

The smell of sweet red fruit and earth on a burgundy.

Sounds more like your new amplifier :slight_smile:

Well observed and very well expressed. Bravo !!!

Oak.

Length. Every great wine I have ever had had a long lingering finish where the flavors kept changing as and after I drank it.

Alluring aromatic complexity. The source depends on the wine, but it comes down to optimal site and optimal winemaking.

Wouldnt linear and complex be a contradiction?

+1

That’s how a man nuts up when he’s called to the mat!

Bravo!!

Good point and expressed very testicularly, Robert A ! [cheers.gif]

Lol, depends on your definition of linear.

The incredible range of non-fruit flavors and aromas that wine can exhibit, running the gamut from black pepper and bacon to flowers to salinity to baking spices.

Pine from Retsina.

Honestly in reds what gets me is stem inclusion and the resulting aromas young and with age, along with how it tends to fill the donut that is a hollow mid-palate on so many wines.

In whites it’s the wet stone intermingled with stone fruits that can really grab my attention.

In sparkling it’s the developed aromas of brioche that sparks a fire.

FUNNY!
Acidity is no virtue per se, all grapes got acidity right from the start, and plenty …
it´s only interesting if there´s enough to balance the acidity …!

(my 0.02)

Love these descriptors for sure. It’s somewhat ‘easy’ to get a lot of fruit in wines - something entirely different to get non-fruit elements that ‘play harmoniously’ with that fruit . . .

Cheers!