What's your go-to AFWE-friendly Steak Wine?

I figured that was coming. In that case, let me add a bunch of 1970s-1980’s-1990s Bordeaux, No Rhone, Riojas and Italians that I have. They actually fall into the <$75 at release. neener

It sounds like you aren’t using much aromatics or garnish with your preparation so I’d bring aroma in through the wine. My first thought was Alto Adige, so something like Elena Walch Lagrein. You’ve had her wines, yes?

My second thought would be my favorite duck pairing, which could work here too: Blaufränkisch. My two darlings right now are, from Austria, Wachter-Wiesler (their single vineyard bottlings need some age/air) and Johan right here in Oregon. If you haven’t tasted the Johan effort, it’ll be just across the highway from Walter Scott for our Post IPNC tasting. It’s lean, but also big fruit and big acid. Lots going on.

I’ll go out of my way to say, steak ain’t what it used to be, for me. This AFWE don’t eat steak no more. It’s rather sad. Like a food group died.

BUT when I do, I prefer loire cf. I think it’s because it’s so freakin french. If I’m having steak frites and chinon, I can close my eyes and be in Paris. Or at least Balthazar.

Had steak twice in the last week and drank wines below, all of which were great, btw.

My go-to is Friuli Merlot but I’m looking forward to my stash of Rocca di Montegrossi '06 Geremia (Tuscan Bordeaux blend) entering its drinking window.

Aged Tuscan Sangio (Felsina '94 CCR)
Friuli Merlot (Meroi 06 Ros Di Buri)
Teroldego (Foradori 06 Granato)

Any N. Rhone is a good go-to (I’m usually drinking st. Joe).

Even more AFWE, though:

• Barral Faugeres (make you feel like you’re on the farm and just slaughtered the cow)
  • burlotto freisa or pelaverga (great tannic structure wile maintaining some fruity interest and intriguing aromatics)
  • a heavier mondeuse
  • champagne

I think you’ve mixed two prominent Chenin producers. Do you mean Huet Le Mont? Or maybe Baumard Papillon or Trie Speciale?

Good Poulsard. That gamey, smoky, meaty thing in the wine really works.

Great call

Having some steaks on the grill this evening as a pre-4th of July hangout. Bringing a bottle of '79 Olga Raffault Chinon. Hope it hits the spot :slight_smile:

I would have done a young-ish poulsard, but not all the guys coming are nerdy wine fans hahaha.

I usually reach for a Loire cab franc or a funky, herbal syrah.

Aged traditional Chianti / Brunello / Vino Nobile is a CLASSIC friend of 4 inch thick steaks…

the pleasure police AFWE like their steak well done, right?

No, we like it raw…

Steak is an easy paring across the spectrum of wine. That said, I like Baudry Chinon with steak and you will too, even if your primary concern is AFWE correctness.

Its funny, but as much as I love Loire CF I don’t usually reach for it with steak. I tend to prefer Bordeaux.

Great thread. Tons of good ideas(more than I will ever eat steaks)
+1 on the Johan Blaufrankisch and tartare for AFWE pleasure seeking types like myself.

I just will never understand why someone would want to cover up all the goodness with boring old fruit extract.

With all the love for Loire cab franc don’t neglect pineau d’aunis!

the only time I reach for non-AFWE wines is with steak or braised meats. I’d probably prefer Bdx or classic Brunello, but I have a lot of big new world wines to get though.

This thread almost demands drifting along these lines. Are classified growth Bordeaux, Brunello, and classic California Cabernet AFWE? Probably not (although as has been discussed ad nauseum, AFWE is often used as code for “wines that I like”, so I’m sure someone will claim that they are or can be). But that doesn’t mean they aren’t amazing with steak.

Traditional Brunelli (Soldera, Lissini, Biondi Santi) are seriously AFWE