When wine customers misbehave

I have been in a variety of retail businesses over the years, and to be totally candid, while a few of these behaviors might be personally offensive (like a sexist view of wine knowledge), none of them would put me off a potential customer (well, as long as the dog doesn’t mess the floor). The truth is, getting along with a “challenging” customer and making him/her feel welcome and appreciated is a basic part of promoting any business…

Shouldn’t a brick and mortor wine shop be happy that someone walked into the store when they could have gone to wine.com and sorted by lowest price X highest score?? :astonished:

My favorite line in the story:

But Apothic Red drinkers refused to buy it in her store. “They said, ‘Oh I couldn’t buy that wine in a nice wine shop,’ ” she said.

read whine

“This problem seemed to be Mr. Posner’s alone…”

Just as Cheech pronounced it in one of theCheech and Chong movies when he held up the empty bottle and asked Chong to get more of this “fussy pussy.”

thanks for the link CJ … [cheers.gif]

When somebody mispronounces a French wine because they don’t know how to say it correctly, combined with a bad fake French accent, it sounds horrible.

yv7UJLOyERs

“Is this wine any good?”

No it sucks, that’s why I stock it you f*cking dumbass.

But you look so American in your photo!

The article failed to describe the horrible symptoms of the apoplexy that those delicate proprietors suffer when faced with those barbarians.

That is an article in search of an editor and a rethink of just how whiney one should be. I don’t blame the merchants, who were obviously sought out for quotes to fill the author’s “idea” that never went anywhere.

That’s not what was said.

Uh, that’s exactly what was said.

“Sometimes a customer at MCF Rare Wine in Manhattan will actually pick up a bottle and ask proprietor Matt Franco if he’s tasted the wine.”

I read that part slightly different. It was just if they had tasted, but then “was it good?” follow up question, and the complaint was that there was no way to know the customers taste preferences etc.

That was my read, at least, but I admit I read it yesterday and very quickly and didnt think enough of the article to read it again to confirm.

I agree with many here that this article fell short of the mark in several ways. Seemed hastily written, was choppy and flowed poorly, and didnt do a good job of describing the scenarios particularly if generating empathy for the shop owners was the goal.

I don’t mind if the customer asks the salesperson if they personally tasted the wine. Even in a smaller store many of the wines are brought in by only 1-2 people tasting it and making the call. Part time employees may only work busier times like weekends and not be privy to distributor tastings during the week.
‘Is it any good?’ Can get grating if the customer asks it for every single wine you show them, but you’re trying to earn their trust. If you make good choices for them they will come back and take your first recommendation the next time.

“Have you tasted the wine” is a necessary question to ask when a wine shop employee recommends a wine. There is a shop near me where the guy tries to personally recommend every wine in the store, but has actually tasted very few

I sometimes ask if my favorite merchant has tasted the wine. The shop stocks thousands of bottles, so it’s not a stupid question. Sometimes he tells me “yes I have, and it’s not your sort of thing.” I appreciate the candor.

Said commentator retired today, so a small few may be able to work it out.

I think the retailers for the most part are way way way too sensitive. Their feelings seem pretty easily damaged.