When your partner/SO goes dumpster diving in “your” cellar . . . .

I knew I was in good standing when I joined this Firm, the Chairman had a huge cellar. I recall the first Xmas party at his Club, he broke out maggies - lots of them - of some great Cali classics from the 70s and 80s. That included some early Chuck Wagner. So funny we - a few associates and I had formed a drinking group - were just cutting our teeth on Caymus. Our first wine tasting, yes held in a conference room in our firm, included the 1991 Caymus SS. I recall spending $85 on that wine, partly thinking that I was crazy. That was a good night with great friendships evolving; in fact, am having a business lunch tomorrow with one of those associates, who left years ago to start his own VC firm.

And incidentally, my office seems to be a popular hang-out spot. I used to think it was my sunny disposition, charm and wit, and pearls of wisdom . . .

Just to be clear, while one could posit that we are always working, this is after-hours stuff. I think that was clear from the OP. Only in America - that’s probably an exaggeration - is there this kind of taboo.

I debated it, but she is a sovereign nation, so it seemed apropos.

…wife and friends opened a large format cause it looked cool and unceremoniously left without drinking it… wife has free reign, way cheaper than divorce…

Came home from work one day many years ago to see the familiar label of an 82 Mouton from across the room. The bottle was standing open, and my wife was enjoying a glass as she made pizza. (My friends will know this was a LONG time ago as I haven’t had any Bordeaux for years!) At least I got to drink it with her.
The next day I set up her part of the cellar and have kept it well stocked ever since.

House sitter/friend who nearly exclusively liked Italian wine decided to dabble in Burgundy one night. Said she only pulled wines of which their were at least 2. One was a village Vosne. The other…2001 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin. She said it was the best wine she had ever had.

I guess I’m blessed - and I use that word tongue in cheek - that my wife does not really like many red wines, she will almost always go for white, which we keep in a separate fridge.

I will note, comically, that having gone to Napa and bought a smattering of reds, she has made it very clear these are “her” wines and asked for her own little fridge. It’s cute.

She has a good palate.

I assumed that all along.

That’s the difference over here - nobody would find it odd in the slightest to crack open a bottle during working hours. Admittedly, not on a daily basis, only one day in two.

My only experiences with stash nickers were twofold: my negotiating team cracked open a bottle of Toro which a hotelier had given to me, which I was pleased to see the back of, but on the downside, my boss nicked a bottle from my office to drink with clients, thinking I wouldn’t mind - it was a Gruaud 82 I’d just picked up from auction. They liked it.

It’s one of the many nice things about being married to another wine lover/collector. When I’m not around, he takes care to open only the things he knows I don’t particularly like, or things we have a lot of.

Since Robert sets his own hours, isn’t after-hours whenever he feels like it?

Good point, sir.

i know your tricks silly rabbit

After a long night of drinking my wife opened up a blind bottle for a group of friends and it turned about to be a 1989 Gentaz. Luckily I guessed it blind! We still laugh about it. The odd thing is she does not like Syrah.

My experience is the opposite and I ended up getting more out of the deal than I should have. Had a couple of friends over this weekend, neither of which are big wine drinkers, and I decided to open up a magnum of 2005 Mettler Family Petite Sirah. It was drinking exceptionally well and they didn’t even open the bottles of whiskey they brought!! They ended up leaving me the bottle of Blantons and the bottle of Weller they brought!!

I wish my wife had an interest in picking out bottles or just opening something when she felt like it. She enjoys wine, has a good palate, but isn’t into the details and is probably a little intimidated by my obsession. She does have a few favorites she’ll ask for by name on occasion, but she doesn’t want to mess with the cellar herself.

Robert does not set his own hours - his clients set them.

But, Robert does get to set the hours for his associates. [drinkers.gif]

My wife tends to like best wines from wineries we have visited, so, in some sense, I have an impact on her favorites.