Where to look for a savory domestic Syrah

My experience with Reynvaan is limited to two vintages (but the entire portfolio). I guess I got lucky as I’m not a fan of the funk either, unless it’s the kind you can blow off with a decant.

You are right on the Tor, it was the 06, and sublime!

First off, Melville sold that vineyard a few years back so their 13 or 14 from that vineyard will be their last. Others may still end up calling it ‘Vernas’ but my guess is that they will shift to the new owners name - something like Sokrian . . .

I have not found that specific vineyard leading to ‘savory’ syrahs myself in the past. I have definitely found that the small block planted at Melville’s SRH vineyard to lead to what you are talking about for sure.

And interestingly, Vernas is immediately across the street from White Hawk Vineyard, home of some great savory syrahs for sure!

Cheers

To my palate, the Bedrock and Carlisle do not really seem that meaty and northern Rhone in character. The most meaty and northern Rhone new world wines that i have had, have been Arnot Roberts and Piedrasassi. Those are definitely worth checking out.

Jake, this is a very typical evolution. I realize that you are requesting recommendations for California syrah, but why? There is a long list of northern Rhone syrah producers who make just what you have described, whose wines are readily available and at all price points. Moreover, the wines don’t need age to have the savory aspect you describe. Many members here could make recommendations.

Good point.

I took ‘savory’ to mean not fruit forward.

I suppose you are correct here in that I am severely limiting myself by not looking outside the US. I love being in contact with the winemakers I buy from though. To me, it’s awesome to be able to say when we’re drinking a wine “oh hey, this is great. I should email the winkemaker/owner and let them know.” I just wanted to see if anyone here was doing it first but believe me we are starting to try more N Rhones. Fortunately there are plenty of previous threads to draw recommendations from on that front.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I certainly have a large number of wines to look for. I think I’m going to start by seeking out Cabot, Failla, Lagier Meredith and Enfield.

What a great thread. Commenting just so I can save it. So many new wines to try!!

Arnot-Roberts & Halcon for sure. Also should mention Donelan. Their last few vintages have been superb.

Westerhold out of Bennett Valley is pretty savory and balanced, haven’t had their extended barrel aged stuff but their regular bottling is pretty great.

Wind Gap Armagh vineyard is something that i always equate to this.

Bennett Valley suits Syrah very well, for those who want to make a savory cool climate version. It’s also one of those regions where there isn’t so much pressure to produce a more popular style. Speaking of which, if you’re like me, you’ll note that you’ll enjoy the excellent suggestions above that are in the $20-30 range much more than highly rated big/ripe/oaky Syrahs in the $45-60 range.

I think Peter nailed it with the Rotie recommendation. I tasted through their current lineup last week and was exceedingly impressed.

As would I, actually the Wind Gap house style.

I also agree about Copain, but I don’t find the Copain syrahs savory. The stem inclusion is well under what I believe Wind Gap uses and the Copain syrahs will often reflect to me an elegance, purple and red fruits, olive, garrigue.

Someone else mentioned Riverain. Not sure I would call that savory, although the new wood is quite low and I think the stem inclusion similar (to bit less) than that of Copain. The wines are dark, dense and have some of the olive, herb quality from the cluster.

Rhys Horseshoe is also in this same moderately savory camp, for me in between Copain and Wind Gap.

In the end, this idea of savory is quite subjective to me. I love savory, a lot, but I find now that the Copain and Rhys are about as dialed into savory as I enjoy now. Riverain a like a lot, have all the vintages…the wine just show more density and TRB flare.

I have to pile on the Gramercy recommendation as well. Greg Harrington is a Master Sommelier, originally from NY. He makes some absolutely wonderful savory Syrahs. Love his stuff.

Cheers,

Lagier Meredith and Peay are my two favorite syrah producers. Both styles are restrained and savory.

That was a great over-view.

I’d sure like a better definition of savory is it being applied in this context. According to dictionary.com and Merriam-Webster, savory is defined as:

1- pleasant or agreeable in taste and smell
2- having a spicy or salty quality without being sweet
3- pleasing, attractive, or agreeable
4- piquaint
5- morally good

By those standards, most dry wines fit the definition (even #5, right? :wink:
And apparently, any sweet-ish wine cannot be considered savory?
Interesting.

I’ll reiterate a few, and add one that I haven’t seen mentioned.

Copain
Wind Gap
Qupe
Edmunds St John
Gramercy Cellars
Buty

Jake; Of course I am slightly prejudiced [rofl.gif] but drop my kid an e-mail. They are super busy with harvest & stuff at the moment but do give it a try.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Cabot Vineyards-
Post #32 Post by Aida Villatoro » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:29 pm
Hi everyone! I’m Aida, John’s partner and I will be handling all of your orders. I’m super excited to see how much LOVE John’s wines get on the board. We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for your support and for that we are grateful. If you have any questions please email me directly at aidav238@gmail.com .