Where to stay in Mosel River Valley area

Believe it or not, after a day of riding along the river, my sons and I decided to ride our bikes to our early reservation at Zeltinger Hof. Bike parking was available right in front. We proceeded to enjoy the wine dinner, and due to the low alcohol levels of the wine and the leisurely pace of the meal, we were able to safely ride back to Schloss Lieser before dark. It was a delightful and memorable experience.

And an alternative to a taxi. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Following for a trip this spring

25 days until my first tasting at Schloss Lieser, not that I’m counting or anything like that. champagne.gif

Do they offer Thomas Haag’s wines to taste at the hotel?

I always thought they were separate.

I’m not 100% certain. It’s a “Castle Wine Tasting” at 5 PM. Something they do regularly apparently. Saturday is our arrival day so needless to say we’ll be wiped so the plan is do the tasting there, eat at their on premise restaurant which is supposed to be really good and then crash for the evening.

There were a couple on the list if I’m remembering correctly. But really just better to go next door. He and his wife were doing the tasting when I went, he actually got pulled in because it got a little crowded. Super nice guy. He even offered to sell me some DHL shipping boxes so I could take more home on the flight. I took him up on that after a bottle count and went over the next morning before they were open and he sorted me out with a couple of six pack boxes.

Pro tip: double check the restaurant name you are booking… I was in the Mosel and accidentally booked Tafel und Wein which was the wrong part of the country (it’s in Pfalz so if you are out there maybe it’s worth a stop?). So unfortunately missed the Trittenheim spot above.

For any subsequent searching…

Taxis aren’t too bad but should be called. Didn’t have trouble getting one, the hotel can call them (I usually asked for an hour or two away), also returning from the restaurant - the restaurants can call and it’s usually about 15mins to arrive there. You should be able to get a biz card from the hotel as well in case you’d need to call yourself.

Lieser to Bernkastel was just under 20EUR, Lieser to Zeltinger was nearer 30 - all metered. It’s an extra euro for booking. In Bernkastel there was sort of a taxi queue on the river by the (extremely ugly and hopefully temporary) ferris wheel which made that return easy.