Which Burgundy Grand Crus Have You Tried?

We need another poll with 700 options!!! :heart_eyes:

I’ve had all except La Romanee, Romanee Conti, and La Tache. In reflecting, the remarkable thing is that I’ve actually owned very few of them. My experience has mostly been the result of the wonderful generosity of friends, and the spirit of sharing.

???

Yep. I can remember getting 2001s and 2002s for $60. Yesterday, Envoyer sent me an offer for the 2019 Clos des Lambrays for $500 and said “Compare at $550-$650.”

WK has said he thinks Lambrays has a ton of potential if investment was made in the vineyard and winery; obviously LVMH has money to burn but it’s certainly unlikely to stay affordable after they invest money. I’ll be interested how much the wine ends up improving but I’m not a buyer at $5-700/btl. La Grande Rue is likely in a similar situation and has apparently improved a lot in the last 5-10 years, but hasn’t gone up quite as much in price. I’m a bit more bullish on that terroir being better. What’s the best case scenario for Lambrays, CDLR?

In early 2019 I bought a magnum of ‘01 Lambrays for $360—from Envoyer!

Some of my favorite Burgs have been from CDLR.

Are you a buyer at $5-600 a bottle? Are you a buyer of La Tache at $5-600 a bottle?

That’s where Dujac is these days. I’m not typically a buyer but the quality is there vis-a-vis other similarly priced GCs.

look at the map above. Would you be a buyer of La Tache at $5-600 rather than $4000-10000?

I mean Lambrays is a very historic vineyard, but not sure it has the track record to be priced above Lignier CDLR, for example. Maybe I’m wrong and it’ll push the limits of what’s attainable in MSD, I doubt it though.

no Romanee Conti for me- yet

Between prices and my age, I am buying very little Grand Cru Burgundy anymore. I think my last significant purchase of a Grand Cru was 2017 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Clos Vougeot ($150). There are only a handful of Burgundy producers whose wines I really like that still sell Grand Cru Burgundies that sell at reasonable prices. If I go to Burgundy next year, I could buy some, but there still is that age thing.

I’ve been buying a good amount of 15, 18 and 19 LGR lately. I think since Nicole has taken over, the wines have a lot more depth and complexity than in past years and the biggest thing they’re lacking over their Vosne grand cru neighbors is power; I imagine in riper years like those the wine should be showing best, and from the one bottle of 18 I’ve had so far I would agree. 18 LGR and LT blind would be an interesting tasting from having tasted both wines separately.

With better viticulture and winemaking, this wine is going to be really good in the future and if any Grand Cru is underpriced this would be it. I think the price of La Romanee has gone up more than 10x or so in the last 20 years since LMLB took over and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a similar increase from LGR.

13,14 and 16 are very nice wines, you can really see the geographical link to RC in some of these vintages.

I was surprised at how many I had tasted, but a lot have been in bits and pieces over the years. I had RC courtesy of Bill St. John, who was the top restaurant critic in Denver for quite some time. He brought a bottle to a tasting series that he held there, but unfortunately it was heat damaged. He was also my introduction to Chave Hermitage through those tastings.

I started buying Burgundy pretty late so my GC holdings are pretty skimpy.

The one I would really like to have is La Tâche.

A spot of La Tâche sounds pretty good right now.

3 Likes

I’d be curious in more stats…how many Grand Cru tasted per person, and the percent of each wine against total responses…

I see 2678 votes, but I think that is total with each Yes for a cru counting as one. It would be nice to know “39% of people responding have tasted X” or “average grand crus tasted per person 19”…How many total people responded?

Not if it was made by Lamarche!

All except RC.