Which Champagne are you drinking?

Looking back at notes, some releases of the Tolerance have been as low as 4 g/L. Sugar in the dosage doesn’t tell the entire story. It really is all about balance and sometimes a lower dosage tastes too sweet and a higher dosage too dry. This also goes to show why you can’t always just aim for something labeled low dosage.

1 Like

I could have sworn that the dosage on Charles Heidsieck wines is even higher than that, even as high as 12 g/l. In any case with some post-disgorgement ageing the sense of sweetness seems to really disappear/integrate and only the freshly released bottles of the regular NV Brut have ever seemed sweetish to me.

1 Like

My 2 favorites so far this year. Francis Cossy 2005 Millesime and David Leclapart L’Ameteur. Just delicious.
Leclapart.jpg
Cossy.JPG

+1

2 Likes

Taking notes here for next weekend champagne.gif

Paul Dethune NV (2008 base) Blanc de Noir had a little bottle age and was crisp apple and spice and enough acid and minerality for beautiful balance. Serious QPR of the year.

1 Like

His NV Brut Rosé is one of my QPR’s of the year. Beautiful wines, wish I had bought more.

Cheers,
Warren

1 Like

The rosé is great stuff.

I have a P. Gimonnet 2005 Special Club chillin’ right now.

JD

bereche et fils brut reserve is my weekly go to for pairing with fried chicken, oysters, and any salty and fatty bites. great value

had a 1970 Drappier Brut recently, surprisingly fresh, full of bubbles and apple cider, yogurt, honey yeast, tons of acidity even after 46 years.

also had a 02 Salon, very reductive champagne, balance of minerality and acidity, floral notes and super tiny bubbles, maybe drank 10 yrs too early.

Last night my wine group tried the 05 vs 06 Taittinger Comtes. Both are high quality with the 05 being a little fuller and yeasty while the 06 being razor sharp, tight and lemony. The 05 drinks easier while the 06 will probably be the longer lived. I’d drink either vintage and be very pleased, but not quite up to the 02 I had a couple weeks ago.

As is the “regular” NV Brut Grand Cru which I find quite spectacular in its category, a great combination of richness and freshness. There is surprisingly little talk about this house considering how good their wines are.

2002 Comte last night. Very good but IMO in need of more time.

1 Like

Jerry, agree 100% on the '06

Posted from CellarTracker

I just picked one of these up recently. I’m looking forward to reading your review.

Tonight I am drinking Chiquet’s 2000 Special Club

I am probably too boring for you guys, but I still really like Bereche and Bouchard. Also, Roederer.

Does the fact that I like Chartogne-Taillet make me any hipper?

2 Likes

I need to subscribe to this thread - particularly for Nordhoff’s posts…

Started my birthday dinner with an '04 Dom P this weekend. My notes are at home but it was a definite hit. The “yeasty brioche” on the nose really stands out in my mind. It was somewhat heavy and full, but countered with a crisp, lively acidity. The bottle didn’t last 30 minutes…

05 disgorged in 08
image.jpeg