Which DRC to try

Really? That’s surprising, but I haven’t had enough from that era to say one way or the other. I’ll have to keep an eye out for an 07 RSV to compare.

Drc did better than most in 04 but if you take a look at the burgundy vintage chart most people consider 03-04 to be the worst vintages in the last 20 years.

07 is a very underrated vintage in my opinion and drinking best of anything at the moment besides 99-02. It’s the vintage I’ve been backfilling most of. Got some 07 la tache earlier in the year for <2500 and wmj noted its the wine that’s most rapidly increasing in price at auction. Envoyer offered it at 3500 on Thursday.

Of note, that offer had 04 LT at 2595 which isn’t awful.

I would say that, given the weight of expectations that come with opening a bottle from this estate, plus the fact that—just extrapolating from your other posts—you seem to enjoy some richer, more powerful styles from Napa and elsewhere, you should look for a more dramatic, impactful wine from DRC. And so I would suggest the 2009 La Tâche as something that will definitely make a big impression.

if the op doesn’t drink burgundy it just seems like an exercise in futility.

if you have a source for 09 LT at the OP’s price limit of $2000, PM me and I’ll back up the truck!

not entirely true. They’ve had control of vineyard management since, I believe, the 60s. They recently separated out two parcels of RSV that weren’t up to snuff and that has elevated the remaining vines, though there is now a bit less wine overall. While 03 and 04 are the weakest in the 00 decade, it’s the strongest decade ever and those wines/vintages still rock.

I think the first vintages were 67ish? My understanding (from meadows and other sources) was that they have improved a lot in the last decade too.

Yeah I haven’t seen 09 lt for much less than 4K of late.

They leased RSV starting in ‘66 from Marey-Monge and bought it in ‘88. Though it wasn’t labeled DRC, they made it (I was lucky enough to have this wine in 2016, and one bottle was phenomenal, while another was clearly over the hill)
IMG_5649.jpg

Ah, missed that bit, too bad [rofl.gif]

and I was hoping to learn your secret source. Damn.

There are restaurants in France where you could drink it for 2k or less, but once you factor in the travel you wouldn’t be making much of a saving on US retail.

and the need to sneak in to france! that’ll cost even more!

Feels like RSV has taken the 3rd position in reds behind RC and LT moving ahead of Richebourg.

They are certainly pricing it as such this year anyway.

DRC, AdV loves his RSV and now it is priced higher than the Richebourg. My favorite vintage to drink is the 08, so exotic, kinky and expressive.

Even for DRC, the 03 was a challenging year and still shows a lot of the ripe fruit.

That’s kinda what I was thinking. I totally get wanting to go big for your 40th (I’ll be doing the same), but maybe try tasting some other solid/less expensive producers to make sure you even like burgundy before you drop a couple thou and potentially end up disappointed.

I saw that you preferred the 08 to 09; the 09 was more powerful but less exotic?

Michael,
I think the 09, 10 and the 12 are great vintages for DRC but still primary. The 08s are more accessible and expressive.
Kevin