Which red burg vintage (1999-2010) showing well now?

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. We will be opening at least three reds. Each of us has offered an 02 and an 08. So the choices are between all three of the 2002s listed and all three of the 2008s (well either bachelet or murgers as the third),

2002 Jadot CSJ, only wine I have on the list, at least can get another data point. [wink.gif]

No question: all three 2002s. While they are (most probably) not fully mature they should give a lot of pleasure (at least if you give them enough air well in advance).

No offense intended at all, but my feeling is that recommendations for (too) young vintages often is kind of wishful thinking …
“I´ve got a lot of vintage 20… (fill in), but almost nothing older, so it should be drinking well now …”
[shrug.gif]

You are really boxing yourself into a corner. The theme (wines of all the same vintage) is getting in the way of drinking good wines. Is having a theme really so important after all the constraints being put on it? Vintages don’t show well, wines do. Just pick out some wines drinking well know and don’t worry about whether they are all from the same vintage. Theme - wines drinking well now.

I can imagine that the 2002’s will give more pleasure, and I can’t imagine the 08’s giving much enjoyment at this point, but then again I was not a fan of the 08’s on release so take that with a grain of salt.

The subject of themed tastings is interesting, and my wine drinking friends argue and joke about it each time we decide to get together for a tasting. One of us always insists on a theme, but although we all have deep cellars and we all have Burgundy, one of ours is deepest in Piedmont, another’s is deepest in Northern Rhône, mine is deepest in Burgundy, etc. So although that gives us great potential for drinking a variety of great wine, it makes it harder to do themed tastings in any one area without one person consistently providing all the wines. Add to that that we are all hesitant to open Burgundy from say 2005
on that we know may be way too young. On the other hand, it does make for some spirited email threads as we decide on a theme for the next tasting, and the themes are getting broader in nature. This weekend it is Chambolle, and we will see what vintages show up, and whether indeed they are all from Chambolle! Although I know some Musigny and Bonnes Mares that will make an appearance.

Ha ha, that is exactly the theme that I have proposed to my group on more than one occasion.

Robert,

Our group usually does a different Burgundy village every month. Occasionally, we have other themes, like last month villages level wines - believe it or not, this is always one of the best tastings of the year. In the last couple of years, we have started doing tastings for the 10th anniversary of a vintage. So, last year we did 2008s and the year before 2007s. This year, I am debating whether it would be better to do 2009s or half 2009s and half 2010s to compare the vintages.

Most of the time, everyone has a wine on theme, but if someone doesn’t, we have work arounds. The person can always bring a Champagne, white Burgundy and/or sweet wine to end with. And, we have certain exceptions that one can always bring to all tastings - although I am not sure anyone has exercised these exceptions. For example, there is a DRC exception, a Leroy exception and, of course in our group, a Truchot exception. I think that there are a few others, but you get the idea.

How did the 2008s show? I’d expect them to be pretty shut down at this point but I haven’t experimented in a while.

And Maureen’s group wants to do a vintage theme, there’s nothing wrong with that. Both themed and unthemed dinners have their own distinct pleasures.

Our wine group also does 10 year retrospectives for Burgundy.

This year we plan to do two 10 year retrospectives - 2009 1er and 2009 Grand Cru separately. And a 20 year retrospective of 1999s too.

Apart from that there are other themed Burgundy dinners like the Bonnes Mares theme we had last month.

2001 without a doubt in my mind. Unfortunately my stocks are running seriously low, a Rousseau Clos de Beze to be opened on Friday being my last one I think (the previous 2001 was a superb Roumier Cras opened some time before Christmas). I may have a few Jadots left.

The 2008s for the most part showed better and more open than I would have expected.

Themed tastings are great but only when all or most of the participants have sufficiently deep cellars or want to buy wine.

Well we drank 08s. Only the Bachelet Corbeaux was tight (so much for CT notes!). The Hudelot CV was typically lacy yet deep abd the Ch de Chorey Beaune Cras was very yummy and was the favorite of 3 of the 4 of us (only I preferred the HN but only slightly for its greater complexity; the beaune was quite yummy however.

Yes, I would pick 2001 for sure. The wines are perfectly on point now.

plus 1

Well, me too, but others didn’t have any

I’m surprised at how little love the 99’s are getting. For me, I would far rather have a 99 than 2002 of almost anything, even if that 99 isn’t quite “ready”, although many now are. I still find the 2002’s to be charmingly high toned, but ultimately lacking in depth and complexity. Very pleasant, but overshadowed by 99, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2010, and on.
I agree with 2001 being an in an excellent place now. and my experience with 2008 has been surprisingly good and enjoyable currently. And I bought a fair amount.

And, Robert, tomorrow I’m bringing an 08 Drouhin Amoureuses.

Red my addition, all imho, of course.

OK, then, thanks for the warning…that sounds like a treat, and I think I’ll crack a 96 Mugnier Musigny and a 99 Bonnes Mares from someone, maybe Vougeraie.

I really love 2009 and 2010 right now,
2009 Grivot Boudot was really on song today and 2010 Chevillon Vaucrains was magic last weekend,
MT