Which Riesling are you drinking?

2023 Juliaan Haart 1000L just landed and tasting very-very well. Like mineral water filtered through a wild pear orchard intermingled with greens herbs and a subtle smokey touch. Pixilated, incandescent. Dry tasting.

10 Likes

We did have a red wine though.

6 Likes

• 2022 Weingut Keller Riesling Trocken - Germany, Rheinhessen (6/8/2024)
    Solid riesling in the Keller style.

Good acidity, consistent throughout the palate, more elegant and restrained. Quite mineral with a kiss of tart lemon, white stones.

Good trocken wine. Not comparable to the GGs, of course, but has similarity in that the palate is consistent throughout. Not strong here and weak there, but just consistent through and through.

89-90, will follow for a few days. (89 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Another consciousness altering wine from Steinmetz.
It’s complex, juicy and creamy, and intensely concentrated. It has a soft spoken elegance, however, in seamless contrast to the intensity; eloquent and never overbearing. It has thunderous mineral essence, which perfectly melds into the herbal and perfumed sensual elements of this wine. These wines are “triggering my hoarding instincts,” if I may borrow a phrase from a post upstream.

2 Likes

I’m interested - what quality are you describing with “creamy” here? To me, “creamy” is a descriptor I just don’t associate with Riesling.

It’s used by Jean and David at MFW very frequently.

Usually in a textural context.

1 Like

You should drink more dry 2018 rieslings :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Actually, both critics and producers often describe certain German Rieslings as “creamy.” Some believe that serious dry Riesling should have a long, creamy aftertaste.

1 Like

A creamy aftertaste sounds kinda… unpleasant :sweat_smile:.

3 Likes

But what does this even mean? Creamy taste? Texture? Something else?

Because 100% this.

I can get how one could describe the mousse of a sparkling wine as “creamy” or a wine that has lactic notes from the MLF could be described as “creamy” but I really don’t get how Riesling is either. Nor do I understand what is a creamy aftertaste, unless it literally means “tasting like cream”. And that doesn’t sound like any Riesling I know.

Cream or creamy was used by MFW over 400 times in their main September report. Have a read for context.

2 Likes

My guess is that “creamy” refers to texture. David Schildknecht uses the term, too. Many tasting terms are difficult to comprehend.

6 Likes

I never really use it but I always interpret it to mean texture too.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a textural thing. Ran into it last night on two wines.

For me it would be first of all texture combined with overall blandness. Not a good thing. My reaction to some Rieslings from the Pfalz (von Winning springs to mind) or pretty much anything I had from the Alsace (admittedly, not too many of those as I quickly realized they are not mine).

1 Like

MFW equally use whipped cream quite frequently as a descriptor.

1 Like

It makes a lot of sense as a texture descriptor.

Just found it a bit funny as a part of a long aftertaste note, as it sounds like some liquid thats coats your entire mouth in a kinda unpleasant way :sweat_smile:

Anyways people can use whatever descriptors they like.

1 Like

Yeah but I think they use it as a flavor descriptor.

Agree.

It is funny. It is even funnier when the taster points out how the creamy aftertaste runs down his throat. This coincides with seeking more breadth, extract, and phenols for dry Riesling wines in the aughts, as more and more winemakers started doing pre-fermentative macerations and even lees-stirring.

2 Likes