which SQNs are drinking well right now

Anyone trying the Grenache wines?

Yes—they are equally delicious :slight_smile:

I just checked and it appears I’ve opened very little Grenache this year. A bottle of the Stein (2012) a couple months ago was, seriously, quite good. Probably had 15 bottles last year, the oldest being 2005’s The Naked Truth.

I drink SQN probably too young in general, and I am finding that 8-12 years is a good range for me, but I still find great enjoyment on either side of that range.

Just decanted a 2011 Dark Blossom Grenache …

Cheers

Should be awesome!

Last couple days had Resiste and Deux Grenouilles.

Both really solid.

• 2010 Sine Qua Non Syrah Five Shooter - USA, California, Central Coast (9/22/2019)
    This caught me a little bit off guard because I was expecting a very concentrated california-style one and to my surprise it had a lot of old-world aspects to it with a black olive aroma and a Dusty palate with dark fruit. This was probably wine of the night, big but enjoyable.

Posted from CellarTracker

Never had SQN Syrah before but have been wanting to try one. These are all available for <$300 on a reputable site. Anyone have thoughts on which to try for drinking in the next 6 months? I’m not opposed to drinking a wine on the younger side, but would like to get one that’s in the zone.

08 B-20
09 The thrill of
11 Dark Blossom
11 Patine
12 Stock
13 Male
15 Trouver L’arene
16 Ratsel

Ratsel is very good now and have not tried the preceeding 5 on your list lately

cheers

I had the ‘08 The Line Grenache last night. Drinking wonderfully with a bit of air. Lots of depth.

I’d go for one of the first three, but they’d all be good.

+1 if 2011 Patine as it’s the Estate version formerly referred to as EBA.

For me none. But it is purely a stylistic issue.

Very helpful and insightful view. [rofl.gif]

So, I took a Ratsel and a Lightmotif to the wedding. Read the cellar tracker notes and decided to hold off on the Lightmotif. In the OP I did ask about the whites.
They are not always easy to figure out.

The Ratsel was amazing - so big and so concentrated, huge nose. I had thought Alban Lorraine or Seymours was the limit when it came to big syrahs, but not so I guess.
Since I have some older vintages I just might drink all of these young.

What was the ballpark release price on the Ratsel? Just trying to get a sense for the secondary markup.

$170 (plus tax/shipping)IIRC.

Drink whites young on release or wait 5 years. Kinda wonky in between.

The cost of the Spring releases (including Ratsel and Dirt Vernacular) has been $170 for a few years, but tax and shipping add $25 a bottle for delivery to Ohio. Cheaper if you can get it in California. Winebid has some Ratsel right now at $205 which translates to ~$250 with the premium and shipping. If I sold my bottles at that price on Winebid I would lose money.

Historically, I think his first release (?1994) was $60. My first direct purchase SQN was the 2008 B-20 for $120 (plus S & T). My first Estate Box was the 2009 which was $1320. Eight years later they are $1500. Pretty reasonable compared to Napa cabs. Really a bargain when you consider that there are dozens of high end Napa cab producers and almost no one else in the SQN space.

I had the Patine Syrah a week ago. I had decanted it for five hours. It was sublime and far superior to its Dark Blossom cousin.

07 Pictures is just fantastic now.