White Burgundy under DIAM

One thing to consider. From what I understand DIAM is a composite that is bound together by glue. Alcohol is a solvent. What’s the effect of having alcohol in contact with the composite and glue over 20-30 years?

We may be trading one problem for another.

Apparently there is a non glue option by DIAM but it is not meant to replace the glue version.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2017/03/diam-launches-agglomerated-cork-with-plant-based-binder/

That seems like a terrific endorsement for DIAM. I assume that with wines closed with corks, over the same period, you have had a lot more than 3 bottles that were corked/premoxed/oxidized because of poor closure/etc.

Any sense of the age of the oldest wines you have had closed with DIAM over that period. Were the three bottles older or younger?

Diam solves more than just the TCA problem. I’ll drink to that podcast #445 explains their process in detail. I switched to Diam last year (origine beeswax version) and so far there has been no issues or variability.
One of my customers told me Etienne de Montille is using Diam-30 in his grand crus - but I haven’t verified this.

William,
The only evidence I have are bottles I have opened myself and saved the corks. I’ve been working my way through the “affordable” end of the Latour lineup;

2016 Montagny 1er
2016 Macon Villages Chameroy
2017 Marsannay blanc

(2018 Vire-Clesse & 2014 P-V En Caradeaux on deck)

All so far are DIAM-5. It would be nice to know if Latour uses them in the entire range.

-Dan

William,

I think Joseph Colin is also using Diam…

FYI - appreciative of all your posts…main reason I am renewing my TWA subscription…anyway you can clone yourself to cover other wine regions?

You’re right. And as I go through my notes, I see Rapet in Pernand has joined the list.

Thanks for the kind words. It is warmly appreciated. Cheers!

William is correct; for the 2018s it’s mainly NDtec for the higher wines, but they are testing DIAM30 Origine and using other DIAMs for some of their ‘smaller wines.’