White wines comparable to Lopez de Heredia blancos?

My 2 favorite vintages between 1989 and 2019. Those aren’t too pricey yet, and you can still find them. It’s really 1990 and older where prices have risen considerably, especially 1971 and earlier.

I mean, if the last couple of years have taught us anything, it’s that nothing is truly immune from skyrocketing, so if these are wines you can’t live without, I’d buy more now. But I still think Huet is on the safer end of the spectrum.

1 Like

I’m talking about the producer with the most consistency in making the best aged Chenin wines in that phrase. Obviously other producers have strong record as well like Pinon and older Bredif. As do other Rioja producers like Riscal. Both categories if made reductively obviously have the capability to age well for 50-100 years. But who is the best of the best for both consistency and the end product? Then we are talking Huet and LdH.

Good to know, glad I picked some up. Considering picking up some 2002 demi and moelleux and some 2005 demi - any concern on the 2002s or is it really on the secs?

I would skip 2002 Huet although we had a decent one last weekend. It’s too variable. They really did have a problem and I suspect a bad batch of corks and possibly a slight reduction in sulfur as well. Whether it really is a problem for the Moelleux is probably an open question, but I wouldn’t buy anything drier for sure.

1 Like

While on the subject, does anyone have an idea about the Gravonia 2014 blanco? CT is sort of blank on it.

I picked up 4 because its the first time Ive seen it in a while.

Blank? This note certainly takes a stand.

Sour and no fruit

:laughing:

1 Like

I just found some and plan to pop soon. Will report back.

A bit of a thread drift here, but are these LdH wines a bit more resistant to heat due to the style? I ask because I found a nice mix of LdH whites on a NY trip in Sept and asked them to hold until Nov. when Houston cooled down. They said sure thing then the wines showed up on my doorstep about a week ago. The highs that week were upper 80s and the wines were what I’d consider lukewarm to the touch. No protruding corks or anything but they had clearly gotten a bit warm. Probably not hot. Thoughts? It was '10 Tondonia Riservas, '11 Tondonia Riservas, and '14 Gravonias…

It is was me, I’d have no worries and would forget about it.

1 Like

If it was a case or more and I requested a specific ship or ship-after date, I’d probably ask them to send a new case. Realistically are they heat damaged? Probably not, but it wouldn’t be worth the risk for me to eat the cost of someone else’s mistake. The only time I’d probably eat it would be if it was lower-end wine intended for immediate consumption.

Has anyone tried the new Muga white? Flor de Muga? Looks like this is only the second vintage

Just checked in on this thread. While not exactly comparable to Lopez de Heredia whites, I did draw the comparison in the note I posted here a few months ago:

2014 La Antigua Clasico Rioja Blanco - Impressive! First whiff is old white with figs and maybe a hint of botrytis (there is apparently none). This is complicated. Earthy, fresh, old, chewy, really ripe pears, bruised apple, a hint of apricots, some stones, a touch of ground coriander seed, a ridiculous and wonderfully complicated panoply of flavors and aromas.
My host asked me if this was a dessert wine. That’s a really hard question! WTF do I know? OK, Yes. But completely dry. I’ve only had white Lopez de Heredia a few times, long ago, do not remember details. But this might have some similarities, at less than half the price. Rated 93. Drink up.

Dan Kravitz

I think 2018 was the first vintage and we got a sample from Isaac Muga when we visited in 2019. Fresher style than Tondonia. We had the 2017 Rose out of bottle, and I really liked the fresh but penetrating flavors in that.

1 Like