Who is this?

From a K&L listing for an $80/bottle Condrieu of his:

2004 Condrieu Yves Gangloff (was $79.99)
SKU #1021226
"With a wiry frame and curly black hair that tumbles down his face, Yves Gangloff, 49, has the veteran rock star look down cold. He is another of the small, high-quality producers who have sprung up over the past decade, and his wines merit the hunt required to acquire them. Starting in 1980, Gangloff worked for seven years in the vineyards of Delas, and used the opportunity to become familiar with the vineyards of Côte-Rôtie, piecing together his own holdings along the way. Born in Alsace, the self-taught Gangloff began producing his own wine out of necessity when the négociant who had historically bought his grapes backed out at harvest time in 1987. This is truly a microdomaine: Gangloff owns a little more 5 acres in Condrieu. This 2004 Condrieu is a blend of several parcels, which include “Côte de Chéry” (Planted by Yves in 1984) and “La Bonnette”. (Planted by Yves in 1989). The maximum yield is 30 hl/ha. According to the Wine Spectator’s 2004 Northern Rhône Preview: Part 1: “Gangloff vinifies his Condrieu in the common method-fermenting in oak, about one-third of which is new, along with 1- and 3-year-old barrels. It’s made sur lie with bâtonnage (stirring of the lees), and is bottled after one year. The wine is made in a lush, bold style, with fig and papaya fruit flavors.” According to Anthony Dias Blue’s pocket guide to wine 2006: “Savory, lingering aromas and flavors in his elegantly worked Condrieu…”

Frank,
I found that too, also some other merchants selling his 2006 cote roties. I’m curious the style of his wines, I found a review from Josh Raynolds which sounds pretty good, though possibly in a more lush style than I sometimes prefer.

Always someone new to spend time looking into…

This guy is on the very top end in both Condrieu and Cote Rotie.
He doesn’t make much wine.
Lots of whole cluster.
Wines of character.
He gets as much as he can but doesn’t try to force the wine. If he produces something out of context, like a Condrieu from 05 that had too much sugar,
he just makes a semi sweet wine.
A genius.

While we’re on the subject, who is the older guy in the center of the photo?

Bernard Levet?
Marius Gentaz?

Never met either however.

Hi Ed! waves

No idea.

Good guesses, Don. You’ve got the right region, but this guy worked a little farther south. Anyone else, Bueller, anyone, anyone?

Hi Linda!

Christophe Pichon? [scratch.gif]

Ed, best to you and Michelle!

The Count from Sesame Street?

Veronica,
I know it is not Christophe.
He is kinda young.
You would like his hair too although it is shorter than Yves.

Another guess.
Noel Verset?
Another person I have never met.

Don,

You got it, Noel Verset in May '02. He walked us through his rows in Cornas. I believe it was the year before he retired.

Thanks, Veronica!

He would be if he wasn’t using so much new oak in his wines (red, that is)