Who isn't drinking their share?

So if wine sales are falling, and there is a glut of wine in the 2018 and 2019 vintages, won’t wine prices come down?

Not a chance.

May be some better juice in the cheaper stuff I guess.

Now compare mass produced/luxury wines vs. low-intervention/natural - I bet you the last group increased considerably.

Soapbox warning: The wine business is the last food business that hasn’t gone down the organic/biodynamic/sustainable route. Doggedly, they’ve put all their efforts into turning wine into a disconnected luxury product, and not enough connecting with the social ethos of the new consumers. These customers are starting to tell us what they want, we just haven’t listened very well. They don’t mind paying for luxury, if it ticks the right box.

It’s an opportunity, not something to be feared.

This ^^

Maybe percentage-wise, but I suspect “natural” wines remain a minor segment of the market.

Not if you believe the winemakers here. Every time this subject comes up, they all say “I’ve been making natural/low-intervention wines for 35 years”. OK, cool. But the problem is that nobody knows that. The consumers have no clue about it.

We never told them.

The winemakers who post here account for a minuscule amount of wine sold in the US. And I haven’t seen them all say that, at least with regard to very low sulfur.

Given the imprecise definition of natural wine, it might be difficult to obtain reliable marketing data. My comment was based on my limited personal experience. I see just a few natural wines in the local shops in MD or DC and the major online retailer sites, and rarely in the restaurants I frequent.

This thread seems backwards.

Why would I want wine sales to go up??? I would love to see worldwide purchases and consumption of Burgundy, Bordeaux, German wines and Champagne go way down so prices go down.

My preference is for people to shift to drinking Jack Daniels so that the price of Brown Forman stock goes up.

I agree Howard, globally. This article was about US consumption. If domestic consumption flags while elsewhere sales remain strong, there is a risk that some of the things we like might no longer be imported. But the vast bulk of sales, and the related decrease, probably has less to do with the wines we chase than with mass-market stuff.

I don’t know about globally, but isn’t wine consumption declining in Western Europe?

This chart shows 2014 vs 2018. It looks like there is some overall decline during that four year period.

That sounds right Chris. I have no idea if Asia or other areas are taking up the slack. There doesn’t seem to be much lag in demand for the wines I’m interested in. I’m in favor of anything that puts downward pressure on prices without limiting availability.

2018 vintage bulk fruit and already made wine from some great California AVA’s and vineyards are making their way into the world of $10-$15 bottles. Big crop that year with higher end wineries having to not accept fruit and sell it off to the bulk world…

I recall the day way back (maybe the 1980s) there was the talk was it was a great year for red wine so cellar that jug of Hearty Burgandy.

Millenials are drinking White Claw etc…

Malt liquor.

I tried it in high school but stayed with beer.

'Well you see, Berserkers, it’s like this . . .

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo.

And when the heard is hunted,

it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole,

because the general speed and health of the whole group

keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells.

But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of wine eliminates the weaker brain cells,

making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, my friends, is why you always feel smarter after a few glasses of wine.’

Not just Millenials that I see. A LOT of my wife’s friends are drinking this type of stuff.

This ^^

Also this ^^

Good question Anton. We have young winemakers providing a new chapter in wine that has driven the market. Likewise, there are newcomers in the cigar industry providing exceptional blends unheard of ten years ago. When the “new age” marijuana growers/blenders bring their unique products to market there will be surge in interest, evaluation and production. What will the board names be? Pot Aficionado. Marijuana Microcosm. Stoned. And the threads? Bob’s Chocolate Chip Cookies. Best pot brownie recipe. Bad seller but I don’t remember who it was.

Taco Bell is selling fries. Burger King is selling tacos. KFC is putting Cheetos on chicken sandwiches. I knew we shouldn’t have legalized marijuana.

[rofl.gif]

I figured that’s why McDonald’s went to breakfast all day.