Who likes congee (juk)?

Bump.

I always feel like I add a lot more ginger than I planned. Always have extra and use a micro plane.

When ever i get fish jook, I typically spend a few minutes finding all the slivers of ginger and removing before chowing down

My favorite jook is the pork and thousand-year-old egg version.

My husband tries to make this whenever I’m sick and comically manages to mess it up. One time he added dried salted fish, but he didn’t realize it had to be descaled. That was pretty gross and impossible to pick out.

I typically make this with left-over poultry carcasses at home.

I love century eggs.

I will try whipping up some Youtiao next time around. Also a fan of crispy fried shallots.

Century egg and pork porridge is one of my favorite. And yes never forget Youtiao to dip if you can get hold of some, perfect breakfast or sick meal. champagne.gif

darn it, i’m hungry now and jook deprived. will need to make a batch this week.

To bump up the umami, I’ll cook the rice with low salt chicken stock, dashi, or veg stock. Either 100% or watered down depending on my mood. Then I might add black or shiitake mushrooms.

Also, dried mushrooms/scallops/prawns/younameit work really well too! Would be perfect on a rainy day like today…

Make, portion, and freeze.

Juk was the first solid food I ate after my liver surgery. I was grateful that UCSF had a wide ranging menu to choose from.

Glad to see you here.

I’ve grown addicted to it from a dim sum house thats an hour away from me but that we’ve been visiting just about every weekend. The combination version has thousand year egg, “juicy pork”, pork liver, and kidney. The slices of kidney seem to stand out.

very cantonese in style. It’s great.

My Taiwanese wife thinks juk should be just plain rice porridge…maybe with sweet potato. bleh.

Love the congee at Sifu Chio on Prince in Flushing. Anyone have recommendations for other great juk?

That’s how my Taiwanese FIL likes it. He also makes it so thick that you can eat it with chopsticks. :angry:

If you’re traveling…

I think Triple Crown has the best juk in Chicago. The restaurant is a tad garish, but I’m not there for the ambience. They use more ginger than most, which I appreciate.

In Toronto we went to Congee Queen (a small chain). The juk is a bit more watery than some, but it was flavorful and the other food they served was tasty as well.

I’ve always been a fan of Congee Village. And they opened a location in Flushing late last year.

Picked up an Instant Pot during Black Friday (needed a new pressure cooker anyways) and made congee using the Porridge setting. Bumped up the time an extra 15 minutes and it came out just the way I like it. I usually use 10:1 or so, but with this, I did 7:1.

F83FCFBC-FDDE-4EA8-8797-A39F339FDE64.jpeg
The best juk I’ve ever had — homemade using smoked chicken carcas and meat.

I’ve never made this but it is on my list of recipes to try this fall. Sounds like comfort food. Any particular type of rice suggested for this?