Who will be the next Cornas and who will be the next Australia?

I love it. Who would think that one of the most entrenched, classic regions would be the one most due for a break out, but I think you make a great point. Most consumers “in the know” just assume they can’t afford good, or even decent, Bordeaux. But there really is so much great stuff out there in the price point you mentioned.

I think we are talking about two very different things here with Allemand&Juge becoming huge within a select number of wine geeks, resulting in very high prices versus larger groups discovering things like affordable Bordeaux, Alentejano et al. Especially given that the OP used the expression ‘stratospheric rise’ - do you honestly see that happening to the regions mentioned?

Yes, I think people haven’t read the OP closely. He’s not talking about good cru bourgeois Bordeaux.

Based on an e-mail I just received from Flatiron Wines, I’d say Gattinara is now on the list of stratospheric increases, helped along by Roberto Conterno:

Nervi-Conterno, Gattinara “Vigna Valferana”, 2014 $104.99
Nervi-Conterno, Gattinara “Vigna Molsino”, 2014 $104.99

It’s a small appellation and it now has a world-class producer’s name attached to one property. That seems like the formula for big moves up.

Great thread topic.

I’ll add a vote to the group saying Alto Piemonte is the next Cornas. Small production, more elegant style, non-international grape, and near an established, pedigreed region for comparative (price and quality) purposes. Oregon would be my second choice.

As for the next Australia, I don’t think it’s Argentine Malbec. There’s still so much quality for ridiculously low pricing and stylistically it’s not THAT spoofed. I’d guess high octane CA red blends for U.S. consumers. As a college senior newly obsessed with wine a decade ago, I cut my teeth drinking high point, low price Aussie and Spanish wines with creative marketing. I quickly moved on just like today’s new wine entrants drinking CA red blends eventually will. Where they go will be fascinating to watch because this new “generation” of American wine drinkers is very large.

I’m skeptical of this formula only because a few years back a similar question was posed here and Jura was being thrown about by a few responders, myself included. The basis then was that Pierre Overnoy wines and Ganevat (irrc) were reaching un-reachable status. Although I haven’t kept up with my Jura buying, I haven’t heard/seen that the region had made the Cornas-style move up from those years.

I think Jura will always be at the margins because the wines are very idiosyncratic – very light reds, oxidized whites. Gattinara is more like other wines people know.

The next Australia…? It’s a pretty big country, to say the least… Well, I think it’s gonna be Australia, no need to look elsewhere.

There’s so many young, talented and daring winemakers here creating some really interesting and new versions of well known varieties, and at the same time exploring and planting new ones, mainly from Italy and Spain (and Portugal). So, even if there are already some very cool newcomers, a bunch load will emerge within shortly.

Cornas, which I love is different; small and special. I can understand its hype in recent years. But there’s still plenty of great Saint Joseph and Crozes-Hermitage to be found at fair prices. In the southern Rhone; Lirac and Cairanne. Many great producers and there’s plenty of bargains to be found IMHO.

Roussillon (Maury reds, etc) will strengthen their “brand” heavily within shortly too.

CA PN (of which, I drink a good bit) is the next Australia and Barolo is the next Cornas.

Next hipster grape…Teroldego, Sicily?

Could Loire be the next Cornas? …if Rougeard can command such high prices I assume others could.

I like the idea of Australia as the next northern Rhône but I think alto Piemonte is more likely.

CA Pinot has been the next Australia for some time now. I wonder if luxury cuvees of cru Beaujolais aren’t the next CA pinot?