Why Am I Buying Wine?

This is something I’m coming to terms with. That the hunt is at least as pleasurable as the payoff. Well said.

More broadly, I’m still early in my wine life. Still buying a fair bit with an eye on 5-10 years from now.

I agree. Discovering and collecting wine can be almost as gratifying as drinking wine. I told myself that I would do a hard stop. I had reason to slow down before this all happened, but I have already slipped. Aubert offers more chards, Bedrocks offers library releases and many, many others are opening their cellars. Lots of one-off opportunities.
And I think about all of the money that I’m not spending on travel.

Hi David,

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting you, so I doubt either of us was going to be able to enjoy the entire contents of our collection in any case. Though previous to COVID I’d been trying to slow the buying down, and still am, I have to admit that I’ve been buying more, for the same reason I think others have mentioned. I almost always buy wines I haven’t previously owned, at least not that vintage or bottling (if not producer or site) and everyone seems accompanied by an excitement directed toward the future, some kind of promise of as yet unexperienced pleasure, which in itself is somehow gratifying (at least to me)–more so, of course, when fulfilled rather than disappointed when drunk.

You sound down, so why not uncork a nice bottle or buy a special new one–this, too, will pass. And all of us here able to even pay attention to stuff like this in times like these I think should remember how incredibly lucky we are.