Why are corkscrews so short ?

Thanks much! Probably the best $10 I will spend on wine this year.

Speak for your own corkscrew.

While I appreciate all the suggestions about different products that are good for removing corks, I’m curious about the question in the initial post. Why are almost all corkscrews designed to go only 3/4 of the way into a standard cork?

Why aren’t all or at least some designed to get the full length of the cork and avoid the very common result that the bottom bit of cork snaps off?

I assume there is some reason, and I’m curious what it is.

So they can sell ‘new improved’ ones after you’ve purchased 1.0?

It’s a vast lemm-wing conspiracy.

The logic probably is that a worm long enough to penetrate the bottom of the cork would frequently dislodge a fragment of that cork which would then fall into the wine.

Not saying they’re good or logical reasons, but:
They’ve always made them that way?
Longer won’t fit in your pocket as well?

I think this.
The only cork that gets in my wine is the little bit pushed off when the screw goes thru the bottom.

My guess would be to a) save nickel in production cost, and b) in the case of the waiters’ corkscrew keep the whole thing small and easy to pocket.
98% of corks pulled are probably under three or four years old, and themselves are short.
What’s discussed in this thread is very much a niche situation and there are indeed niche products.
Make that 99%!

Probably because it’s a non-issue for 98% of the wine on the market, which is sealed with short corks and is drunk young.

that’s what she asked

So what is the longest ah-so? The german Monopol ones? A friend had a lovely shiny ah-so he used exclusively that had considerably thinner and somewhat longer tines than the basic ah-so I have, but I do not recall the brand. I think the longer thinner (& sharper) tines would be an advantage.
I’ve has very mixed results using my cheapo ah-so (say that 5 times fast). Sometimes pushing the cork in a bit, sometimes not getting the cork all the way out. Surely my technique, but I believe also the tine length & girth.
This has also been the 2nd main reason I’ve held back on investing in a Durand. The cost is steep here due to fx, but it looks like both parts of the Durand should be a bit longer.

Monopol is only about $20 and the tines are pretty thin. The longer tine is 2.5” which is longer than most corks. Works on old corks and leaves less cork residue in the wine.

Not that it makes anybody wiser…