Why are there not more Washington State Wine Makers/Owners on this board?

Absolutely!

I really enjoy WA wines from Upsidedown Wines, Andrew Januik, Lauren Ashton, and Gramercy but I do not post about them. I should start doing that more often.

1 Like

I’ve always thought of Washington wineries as being more corporate-owned compared to Oregon, so not as much Mom & Pop involvement in them.

+1 – I may not yet have much to add on WA wines, but am very interested in hearing more about them.

1 Like

Maybe they are all stuck in Woodinville traffic… [smileyvault-ban.gif]

There is certainly corporate ownership in the big wineries (Chateau St. Michelle, Columbia Winery, etc), but as mentioned above there are more than 1,000 wineries in WA, most of them are less than 5,000 cases and privately owned. Without looking at actual numbers, my gut would tell me that corporate ownership of WA wineries is about the same % as OR wineries, meaning not much at all.

Now, from a volume standpoint, the big wineries in WA are MUCH bigger than the big wineries in OR, so there could be some influence outside of the NW on store shelves where you routinely see the same big WA names and not much else from WA.

I agree with your “gut” thought the corporate ownership is roughly on par with Oregon. There are some big guns, but many, many small, independent operations.

Todd: Virtue Cellars.

I am a big fan of WA wines as well, though starting to venture more into Oregon. There are lots and lots of small producers doing really good things here. To add to Brandon’s recommendation for Todd, I would add: Time & Direction; Devium; Devison. [I am sure I am missing some others, but those come immediately to mind.]

I discovered Orr here – and am a big fan of JB Neufeld.

We were in Walla Walla not too long ago and tried all new places, and found some new unknown (to us) gems.

When I first moved here in the late 90s I think there were less than 150 wineries. I had a sense that I really knew all of the quality producers in Walla Walla back then – and even from other regions. Now as someone mentioned there are probably over 1000. An excess of riches! Lots to explore – both in terms of wineries, but also many interesting up and coming regions.

1 Like

I am sure you have found many new clients by being present here.

You know, I’m not sure that most of the winemakers posting here are looking for new business off this board. I suspect that most of them are here because they are total wine geeks like the rest of us, and looking for a place to share that affliction.

2 Likes

Yep. (All the others are active on WB Days ; )

I have certainly gotten more interested in Washington wineries from posts that I’ve read here. I have joined the wine clubs for both the Walls Vineyards & Avennia.

Have also purchased from JB Neufeld & Virtue earlier this year. (I don’t think I’m officially in their wine clubs, but to be honest, I lose track.)

Also, I agree that location hurts. I floated the idea of a wine trip to Walla Walla, Red Mountain, etc. with some friends. When they learned it would require a 2-3 hour car drive after flying in, no one was enthused.

Such a beautiful area. Slam dunk to go after landing in Sea-Tac. Eastern WA is just gorgeous.

Alaska Air flies from Seattle straight into WW airport for ridiculous prices. We get direct flights to PSC from Denver, about 1 hour drive to WW.

We’re taking our kids to Walla Walla next week for a belated college graduation gift. It’s hands down the best place to go tasting, in my opinion. The walk-in tastings in town can’t be beat, lots of them comped with purchase of a bottle or two. Half the time the owner/winemaker is there pouring and telling you about their wines. There’s also a great camaraderie among many of the wineries, they realize other’s success can lead to their success as well.

So many top notch wineries at reasonable prices. Some of our favorites are Va Piano, Rasa, Sleight of Hand, Pepperbridge, Rotie, Spring Valley. We’ll be checking out Devium and a few other new to us vineyards as well.

1 Like

Fairly, unfairly, or maybe fairly-based-on-the-past-but-not-so-much-anymore, I think many folks perceive Washington wines as mostly being pretty dark, extracted and oaky in style, and that style isn’t popular on this board.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1333885#p1333885

I started one and posted in another thread, both a number of years back, wondering what wineries in Washington were making things more in a style that would get people on WB interested. There were definitely some names, but I think (without doing research on it) those might not be ones you see much of around the country?

For example, Wine Exchange has only 35 wines from Washington (compared to 560 from California). Five different K Vintners wines, six different Substance wines, several Quilceda and Betz, several rieslings.

Hi Time has 56, but a lot of that is Ste. Michelle and Columbia Crest. Hi Time, unlike Wine Exchange, carries a lot of everyday and supermarket wines in addition to a deep collection of serious wines.

I feel a bit like I do about Australia – I suspect there are some really good wines out there I’d like, but I have little or no access to most of those or opportunity to try them. I’d enjoy going up there and doing some visits and tastings, find some things for myself and then be able to order them direct.

2 Likes

Mmm…no, I definitely don’t have time for this. But that never really seems to interfere with my reading and posting.

[drinkers.gif] [soap.gif] champagne.gif

And to try and actually contribute to the thread…

I wish Erica Orr would post more often. I haven’t had many WA wines in a while, but hers Chenin Blanc was excellent.

We also had the 2017 Savage Grace Cot a few days ago, and I was blown away. Very old world, and very well done. Maybe my favorite WA red wine in a decade, though I don’t drink that many of them.

1 Like

Ditto. I love driving in eastern WA, it’s a stunning and dramatic landscape. There are also places to get in hikes in the mountains and hills between Seattle and wine country.