Why are there not more Washington State Wine Makers/Owners on this board?

Visit Walla Walla

1 Like

I love WW but learned to never fly into their airport after 9:00 pm. The rental car agencies are closed, the cab/uber drivers (I think there are two in town) are already in bed, and unless the lone airport employee takes pity on you, you’re stuck there until morning.

Let’s get those lurkers as contributors. [cheers.gif]

Roughly 2/3 of my cellar is WA wine. I’m business adjacent, (not ITB directly), so I support the state industry. Plus I happen to love many of the producers here, so that’s just a bonus. I find WA wines hit a sweet spot between CA and French wines that works really well for me. For instance, I find DeLille’s D2 and Quilceda’s CVR without peer for QPR for my tastes, YMMV.

I support MN’s state apple industry. Wine not so much. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Absolutely true. I mentioned Walla Walla since it is the one place people are most familiar with. I stand corrected.

In all honesty, the same could be said for most California winemakers

True. If I was up and coming and wanted to get the word out I would be on this site!

Don’t know if they still do, but they used to turn the traffic lights off at night. I think at 10 PM, all the lights used to switch to flashing yellow.

+1.

I post nearly all of my TNs on this board, and I am sometimes very surprised at which ones do (and do not) gain traction. Ya just never know … [cheers.gif]

They used to do that all over. And it wasn’t all yellow, the main road was flashing yellow and the side roads were flashing red - a stop sign.

Curious as to why you would want to go to Seattle. [scratch.gif]

Seems to me this is a recipe for success for a new winery/winemaker:

1. Participate here, both as a winemaker/winery owner and as a wine geek.
  2. Participate in Berserkerday, and have an offer(s) that represents a huge discount off normal pricing. The less they do number 1 the bigger the discount needs to be.
    3. Make excellent, soulful wines; not just “solid, well-made” wines that are otherwise boring.
  3. Do 1 through 3 for – what? – maybe three consecutive years, and watch things take-off.

Based on some of what I’ve heard, this board has the purchasing power, and word-of-mouth power, to keep a winery in business, and also to launch them into success.
2 Likes

At the prompting of Erica Orr I’ve joined your ranks. It’s been a looooong time since I’ve been in the mix here, the ebob days. I’ll try to stay connected and provide relevant banter when I’ve got value to add.

Harvest starts Monday with Stoney Vine Syrah. I have no idea what my bandwidth will be, but I look forward to learning and sharing with this robust community.

2 Likes

I’m looking fwd to drinking some WA St Syrah tonight after a lesser Margaux three of us didn’t even finish last night.

Great. Love your wines! I’m wondering if you’re willing to share any thoughts on how 2021 is looking. I saw a while back GDDs in most WA locations weren’t that far behind super hot 2015. I’m also wondering if GDDs were skewed by the heat dome event or if it’s really been that hot on average. Thanks.

Hi Jeff, it is great to see you here. We were drinking a WT Vintners Syrah just last night. As always, we enjoyed it very much.

Need to get to WT next summer when visiting my brother. Enjoyed the visit and wines a few years ago.

It isn’t as easy as you spell it out. I’ve been participating on this board for years, have participated in BD a couple times, and I make (what I consider) really good, soulful, interesting wines that compete with any Grenache coming from Washington, but that has not resulted in much traffic at all from this site (online or in person). Maybe if you’re the newest Pinot/Chardonnay darling that will work, or maybe I haven’t been active enough, but I think your steps above only work when lightning also strikes.

I’ll share what I know so far. For my vineyards, which are in Yakima Valley, GDDs are actually slightly higher than 2015. Current expectation is that harvest will be 10-14 days earlier than last year, which was about a week earlier than 2019. Compared to 2020, acids are staying higher as the brix goes up, which is good for me. I might be picking next week, depending on what happens in the vineyards this week.

1 Like