Why Is Pronunciation Such An Issue??

Agree. Most of the Gewurz I’ve tried just aren’t that good. I think they would be better used infused into soap than used for wine.

I would tell you but it’s short/boring .

I think it’s clutching at straws.

A much bigger problem IMO is the number of fat and alcoholic versions. Strident aromas for sure, but on the Hugh Johnson scale, a sip is enough. A shame as the rare leaner / less alcoholic ones can be a far more appetising prospect.

Just in case someone has not yet asked, how do you pronounce TomHill when there is no space between the M and the H? Do you swallow the H and say Tahm-ill or Tohm-ill or perhaps Toh-mill? Where is the proper placement of the accent?

I’d go with this one: Tohm-ill

How to you pronounce “pronunciation”? Very few non native English speakers can pass that test. Yes, I too have failed many times, but it hasn’t really deterred me from using it too much.

Joe Btfsplk

Dan Kravitz

Definitely: Blou (is in “blouse”) - Frank (the name) - ish, would be close enough

I would pronounce it “bob”

TomHill is the exact opposite of J a y H a c k, which is a seven syllable name.

I honestly didn’t even know what Tom meant by GWT when I read the post. And I’ve wasted countless hundreds of hours on this board over the years.

no one pronounces Cos D’estournel correctly

Why? I think I might be able to reproduce a rather authentic rendition.

Honestly, I think that a huge majority of the examples you’ve given here are laughably easy, since they (apart from Cos d’Estournel) follow pretty logical pronunciation rules. I have much more problems with American winery names, place names and surnames when they don’t follow any English pronuncuation rules or are just ambiguous.

All these posts when TH is just [stirthepothal.gif]

Just like “Tamil,” as in the Tamil Rebels in Sri Lanka.

This!

I still struggle with the pronunciation of “w-c” and “PN,” as well. The British pronunciation of the first is “water closet,” as I recall.

dusty some > w-c> /peppery/bit stemmy some black pepper/PN/black cherry/spicy light toasty/oak some complex nose; somewhat tart/tangy light > w-c> /peppery/stemmy/earthy/dusty light black cherry/PN/spicy flavor w/ modest tangy tannins; very long some black cherry/PN/earthy strong > w-c> /peppery/stemmy light toasty/oak bit complex finish w/ some tannins; a bit more black cherry/PN fruit but still dominated by the > w-c > character

I admit that I sometimes feel like a dork when I am not sure how to pronounce wine. I tend to get over it as 90% of the wait staff has zero idea if I am right or wrong anyway. I mean, how many times do you pronounce it correctly and they look at you with the “huh?” look and ask you to point it out? It’s like golfing…you are embarrassed about how bad you are at it until you realize 99% of the other golfers suck, too.

I don’t know if I have ever passed on ordering something because of it. If I have zero idea of how to pronounce it, then I probably have zero idea what it is and I am going to ask both abou the wine and how to say it.

I have been told that it is pronounced anomalously: both s’s are pronounced. My French would not have led me to that pronunciation. Not even my Provencale French, which sounds more final s’s than they do in Paris.