Wine Berserker Barrel, Poll 1

Syrah, PS or Cab in that order…
If not Id be alright with moonshine with the Berserker logo on it.

No kidding? Who are these folks?

PS is actually a good idea, and I think less expensive than Cab or Pinot…

This sounds like a great alternative to Crushpad - that is easily half the price of what CP charges! Any chance we could do a GSM or a GS blend??

So, who’s going to throw out some ideas on costs? Nothing helps bring reality like money. Once that is figured, you can figure what % you might want to participate with. I think if it were divided into estimate case values, after total barrel cost was sorted, people would be able to specify case amount interest and/or split cases.

Also, specifying two varietals that catch your interest would go a long way. There should be some common trends and this may help narrowing the lane.

[1974_eating_popcorn.gif]

Ray, we’ve got too many options present here, mostly good ones. Let me sit on this just a bit, but overall, it seems like Petit Sirah would be well received…and if we don’t go with a special pricing/labeling version like what John Cabot did, and we go more with Shawnda’s arrangement with a barrel and bottling start to finish (she does a lot of label art as well, so some adaptation of Mike’s would be awesome), we’ll see about Petit Sirah from her contacts.

Is everybody generally good with Petit Sirah??

I love me some petit sirah…

Sure but as we all know Petit Sirah doesn’t age.

[berserker.gif]

Petit Sirah? aww - can’t we just call it Durif instead? [foilhat.gif]

If someone can figure out where Mondavi got his grapes for the '70 PS we had on Saturday night, I’m in.

If you guys agree on PS as your varietal and need some fruit, I may be able to help. Not promising that it’s still available, but it’s a pretty killer vineyard in the RRV.

No worries, just figured I’d help. :slight_smile:

anything but fing Merlot!

an esoteric variety could be cool.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I think the budget for this barrel is a little lower than my wine would allow. But if there’s enough interest next year when the wine is released, I’d be happy to do a special label.

I actually voted “no” in the poll, but Petite Sirah at a good price could sway me.

Syrah would be my pick. I would flirt with Pinot or Cab, but as others mentioned to get some good stuff I’m not sure it’s in my price range. A random variety at a good price would be compelling.

Otherwise, I’ll just wait for the next Squires Hospice de Beaune run… [1928_middle_finger.gif] [wow.gif]

The problem with syrah from my view is that there are so many good syrahs out there at a price you’d be hard-pressed to match (and largely languishing on retailers’ shelves), it gets to be “why?”.

I did a barrel of cab for the '07 vintage and agree that minimal shares of at least a case are an extremely good idea. It’s also helpful to limit the number of people involved in the decision-process (one in my case for the '07). I ran my decisions by the group before committing and would listen to any strong dissent (especially if there were a few people dissenting), but you can’t let it turn into a free-for-all, imo. At some point, trusting in a small group makes the whole experience a lot more pleasant.

P.S is good by me [good.gif]

Right Bank Bordeaux 50% merlot and 50% Cab Franc works for me. [d_sunny.gif]

Cris,
Ron Leland, our label designer has a group of wine-o’ friends down in Frank Murray’s hood. I think you might have met Ron and Robert Hynnman at the Fratello’s OL last Dec. Fun group of guys down there! [drinkers.gif]

If we go with Petite, maybe we should consider, Yorkville Highlands in Mendocino. Paul Gordon might be a good guy to talk to, or Casey Hartlip(though I know his fruit is all spoken for). Mike Officer makes Petite from up in that neck and I have tried quite a few nice examples from that area. Shawna’s connect might be a better option, but I thought i’d throw it out there.

I would be interested only if we did Champagne.