Wine bid for Prum lovers

Did anyone here get that Prum 04 Lange gka? I have had it - fabulous.

1 Like

I wanted to but it was a little rich for my blood right now. I bid on it, but was outbid unfortunately. That’s awesome that you have tried it. You collection is amazing!

Might have gone a bit nuts on the Bouleys. Some really good deals here, especially given recent vintage price increases.

2 Likes

Wow that was nuts. I placed my bids and walked away. Content with a couple bottles of Schaefer 2012 Spätlese and a bottle of 2017 Haart WO trocken. Been wanting to try his dry wines.

1 Like

I did the same. I don’t trust myself bidding at the end :grinning:. Glad you got some great stuff!

I thought at $170 one of the White Label Haarts is getting out of hand. Hammered at over $280 per. Damn.

The one Kabinett I was eyeing hammered at $500! :anguished:

Are you familiar with the restaurant scene in Frankfurt? You can drink well, also older Haarts, for a fraction of the auction prices.

1 Like

Those days have gone. You might find some Haart or Mosel Riesling on the shelf. Might.

Damn, long gone are the days when these were available in 30 - 40 eur range. And those days were just a couple of years ago :face_with_spiral_eyes::flushed::hot_face:.

1 Like

Every time I’ve been I come back with 20 year old JJ Prums.

Oh I thought you were talking about Haart. Yes they will always have the late release Prums.

1 Like

Joh. Jos. Prüm is also five times the size of Julian Haart. There is much more wine.

I focused mostly on the Haart white labels and ended up with a few. The recent Haart Kiste cases sold for $1500 at Thatchers look like quite the steal now! The Haart bottles definitely brought in a lot more buyers than usual to the auction. I initially thought it was not a smart move to list so many German wines because the market is not deep enough. I still think that, but it was not as bad as I would have thought.

Some thoughts on this auction. This is a double edge sword, on one hand we are all shocked that bottles of Mosel riesling sold for the normal going rate for many white burgundies. This is great overall for German wine and frankly deserved if you take the emotion out of it. One the other hand you can still buy so many great German wines at a fraction of what the Haart’s sold for…I cannot say this for Burgundy so we should not get to worked up over these prices. Lastly I would add that Julian’s wines continue to improve by leaps and bounds and his recent white labels are significantly better than his earlier work and I expect the prices to continue to escalate. And I still have not figured out whose collection it is but have noticed a frequent poster on all things Burgundy, Champagne and German has been eerily quiet…

3 Likes

For example, you can buy Weiser-Künstler’s 2022 Enkircher Ellergrub Kabinett from ungrafted old vines for 25 euros in Germany.

As someone who lives in a state in the United States that is crazy about wine shipments, I am always so jealous of the prices of my favorite wines in Europe and, of course, Germany. I should just be thankful I can even get any of the wine where I am.

Or a stunning wine I had last night. 22 Falkenstein Mutter Anna Kabinett Trocken…incredible pairing with Japanese hot dogs!

Another example is Später-Veit’s 2022 Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Kabinett “Armes” from old vines close to Schubertslay. It costs just 14 euros in Germany.

2 Likes

I had the same thought as to the source of the wines. The listed wines certainly fit his tastes to a T.

And don’t forget young Max Kilburg who trained under Julian and whose vineyard is literally next door…disclaimer source | material sold these!

1 Like