Wine Budgeting and Significant Others

No mortgage. More wine. champagne.gif

Sort of similar, DINK as well. We pool both incomes and pay all house bills, food, eating out, vacations, etc. from the pooled money. Savings and retirement are from that pool as well, all line items in the budget. The “personal money” is also a line item which we get to spend any which way we choose. On top of that we agreed on a $200/month common wine budget which is like a $50 wine a week. The rest of my wine buying is from my “personal money” or allowance. Lastly, yearly bonuses are not put into the pool, it goes to personal money, dunno why but it just ended up that way, sort of a way to make us feel we reap the rewards of how hard we work as individuals.

this is basically the setup in our house too. i agree not to be unreasonable (to be fair, I’m pretty sure I’m REALLY reasonable compared to some of the board lol) and she appreciates the fact that she is enjoying what I’m buying.

Your situation is almost exactly the same as mine though. I actually had never had alcohol until 4 years ago when my wife took me to a wine tasting. at this point I am still slowly filling a 120 bottle wine fridge at our house though. she can always check on how full it is, but I will admit I do tend to try and time shipments on days when I know I will be able to get them and put them in the fridge before she’s home… haha!

As long as we go on one European and one US vacation per year, my wife allows me to spend what I want on wine.

Due to a recent surgery she has been drinking less red wine lately as it does not appeal to her right now, so I have been buying less red and more white to satisfy her. I have also been buying a little less overall simply because I am out of room.

We have combined accounts and we are DINKs.

Hmmm, I might know of a famous person who knows your wife, then.

dangit this is what the 130k was supposed to prevent CJ!

I hope that she recovers soon…but not before you open up the best items in your cellar.

We are DIOCs. Double income, one cat.

+1

Separate credit card for those purchases.

It’s a big plus that my wife loves wine, too, but doesn’t care to geek out over it like I do. We have combined finances, but also have separate accounts for “fun” money or extra funds. She mostly spends hers on her vice: clothes. I spend mine mostly on wine. There’s a degree of plausible deniability in play, as I don’t really want to know (or case) how much those jeans cost just as she doesn’t want to know what that last fabulous Cabernet we enjoyed together cost. All this would NOT work, however, if we weren’t meeting our other obligations first: kids, home, insurance, taxes, retirement, etc. etc.

i think the non-disclosure thing is OK to a point. but once there starts to be “spirited conversations” then something needs to change most likely. if yall are disagreeing, you need to come to some sort of an agreement. if there are concerns, they need to be sorted out. best case scenario, you explain to her what youve purchased and she’s OK with it and you get to continue on your way (with perhaps a check and balance). Worst case scenario: your purchasing gets a little bit limited but your relationship is still a happy one. what good is wine if ya dont have her to share it with?

the alternative of her becoming more and more unhappy about it is not a good one. way better to get on the same page now than wait.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone! We also have a system similar to independent accounts - once obligations are taken care of, we each have an “allowance” that we can spend on what we like. We too are double income no kids (as of right now), but I guess our primary difference with what others have said above is that our allowances are not proportional to earnings. We each get the same amount regardless of earnings.

And by “spirited” I mean conversations such as “we have enough bottles to last us a couple of years, why are you buying more?”

Ours is quite similar, the personal money allowance is the same no matter who earns more. If you don’t mind me asking, if you purchase the wine with your personal money, why is she not OK with that?

My wife oscillates between “more wine?” and ordering stuff from Last Bottle without telling me. She also belongs to more winery lists than I do. A lot more. On the other hand, she’s never seen my offsite storage unit, although she knows it exists. And, on yet another hand, she’s been to DDO so often that the staff all knows her, by name, at the level where she gets the ‘special bottle under the counter’ pours. I make the income, pay all the bills and my wine purchases are delivered to work, from where they go to the offsite directly. As one local collector noted, “the reason to have an offsite storage unit is so that your spouse doesn’t know how much you have.”

I religiously make sure we split every single bottle I buy since it’s a hobby we both share, to varying degrees. The only wine I drink without my wife is when I’m doing “research” at a tasting at Hi Time on a Friday night.

We personally don’t believe in separate bank accounts. We have friends that do that and it always sounds so weird to me when they are talking about who is paying for the next vacation, etc., especially when they make the same level of money. My wife trusts me manage our family’s finances and both of us are 100% compatible with regards to priorities.

My wife makes all the money and I pay all the bills so… #winning? champagne.gif

Well la-dee-dah for you and your wife! neener

I don’t think many of us that have combined finances yet also have separate accounts have a lack of trust in our relationships. If I didn’t tell her about it, I could see that, but she fully knows I’ve got a few hundred a month going into mine, as she does hers. She knows I spend mine on wine and I know she spends hers on other non-wine things.

Can you spell Lululemon? champagne.gif

Those limited edition shorts/leggings sell for some CRAZY prices.

Is it your money or her money? Spend on your hobbies what you know you should.

Interesting thread drift going on about finances!

All our money is co-mingled. I am not allowed to have a check book or ATM card because I think if I have checks I must have money and that ATM money is free.

For work, it’s more complicated, so our accountant and my office manage share Anton-sitting duties with my wife.

This…I think our wives might be related