Wine Delivery in Wisconsin Winter Temps

Same thing that happened to original poster.

No the plane pulls up to the house! You are a shipping expert? The trucks get the wine packages from the plane. You think if it arrives at 6:00 at night that all trucks sit in heated warehouses? They might sit over night and last night was not a good night for that as it was the coldest night of the year.

FYI, standard fridge temp is 40F, actually.

As I recall, the freezing temperature of wine is in the low 20s, varying with the alcohol level.

Maybe they were celebrating by shipping early. In Northern California, the Packersā€™ loss is viewed as a plus.

1 Like

2 day air will sit somewhere else usually. I have hundreds of packages shipped FedEx air a year and they almost always sit in Indianapolis or Memphis.

Where do they go from there? I assume they will go to Wisconsin. When they land I assume they go on a vehicle for delivery. If things go perfect they come off the plane go to distribution center and quick turn around to the destination. If things donā€™t go well they will sit on a truck outside over night.

Tyler , I hope it goes ok. Check the tracking information for the package to get a feel for the route the package took/takes. I think you will be pleasantly surprised that it didnā€™t linger in a delivery truck overnight .

How do you think they make ice wine people?? Itā€™ll be fine, relax.

1 has nothing to do with the other

Almost certainly not for air packages. Itā€™s not impossible but i havenā€™t seen that behavior in thousands of shipments.

I appreciate the feedback on this. I donā€™t want to put the producer/winery out of money when it was clearly a miscommunication, but at the same time, if there is even a slight risk to the bottles being compromised, I hate having to feel like I need to open one immediately just to make sure. I clearly stated up front when I ordered it is far too cold to ship until March (at the earliest) for this very reason.

I would not worry at all putting them out of money when you clearly made it clear not to ship! They should know better anyway. When a business makes a mistake like this a good business will take care of the consumer.

As you state ; air packages usually
donā€™t sit in a delivery vehicle overnight . And they usually donā€™t sit at the distribution center very long.

The OPā€™s wine will eventually arrive, and the corks will be pushed (or bottles shattered), or not, then he can decide what to do. But, itā€™s the seal on the bottle that matters.

-Al

Wines landed at the Hodgkins, IL hub tonight and are in-transit to WI tonight. Temps are as cold tonight as last night, but still single digits for plenty of the night.

Will post an update tomorrow when they land. Fingers crossed. I appreciate all of the perspectives and advice shared here. Itā€™s why WB is the best!

Iā€™d be surprised if the corks are not pushed out, and you receive wine slushie.
If that is the case, take pictures for documentation, then thaw the wine in the refrigerator, pushing the cork back in as soon as you can.
You should get compensation for the damaged wine.
It will probably still be quite drinkable, although long ageing will not be advised.

Ask in good faith they reship wines. There are only two answers. Yes or no.

Wine landed today. Immediately opened the box and while the bottles were very cold to the touch, the wine ā€œglugā€™dā€ freely as I turned it upside down and there were no obvious signs of the cork having been pushed up.

Had it landed tomorrow, it would certainly have been a different story.

5 Likes

Gratz. One less worry.

Glad it worked out . Stinks they shipped it though .

And Iā€™m shocked John was wrong .

2 Likes

Curious what packing/packaging materials were used?