Wine Drinking Malaise - Advice on re balancing?

What is a hangover like?

It had been for me, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Salil has already bragged about it.

I’ve looked into this before and it’s a mistake. Wines are not priced solely based on quality. Just when I think about not buying those kinds of wines, a 1996 Baudry Grezeaux stands up and is clearly the best wine on the table next to much more expensive, “special occasion” wines.

What I would do (but haven’t been good at doing) is not to buy as broadly (or you can buy fewer bottles, but I prefer to be less broad) but keep buying 6 bottles at a time.

I’ve also decided that while I like Foillard/Lapierre/Breton with a year or two of age, it isn’t really a cellaring wine for me so I am just drinking the vintage I can find while I cellar Coudert and Desvignes. I no longer buy Breton Loire for the cellar or any other producers besides Baudry and Rougeard (and the amount of Rougeard I buy is severely limited now anyway).

I’m not great at this, but I’ve been able to cool the jets somewhat. If you truly prefer “special occasion” wines, then that would be an easy way to do it, but make sure that’s what you actually prefer.

Good advice from nathan. The broad vs. deep question is very much a matter of personal preference. While I find both immensely attractive I enjoy the broad and less bottles buying aspect more so that’s what I do. But you miss out on a deeper understanding of certain wines that way.

I agree with Nathan as well; 96 Baudry is fire and to miss out on that would be a travesty, but I’ve been buying Baudry by the case per vintage and it’s racking up. Jay - I totally agree with your sentiment; just need to exact some discipline!