wine glass surface tension and taste

Your thoughts Alan? What the real skinny?

Lol, I’m trying to lay low and not accused of being dogmatic. Been years since I studied this, so had to go back and refresh my memory. Noah laid it out correctly, i.e., how a liquid disperses or beads on a surface depends on both the properties of the liquid, and of the surface. It’s not only surface tension at work, it’s also the interaction between liquid and surface, roughness of the surface (at a micro level), attraction or repulsion between the liquid and surface, etc. All those things determine whether a liquid will spread out, bead up, stick or run off easily, and so on. But none of those things can possibly, in my opinion, affect the taste of a wine once it’s out of the glass and in your mouth.

2 Likes

I’ve had my disagreements with Alan Rath, but I have to agree with him here. If there’s a difference in taste, there’s some other factor, like how recently you took your blood thinners, at work.

Also, I cannot for the life of me find a glass called Zarelto anywhere, so they must be very exclusive. Maybe just knowing that we don’t have them makes the wine taste better. Nah, that couldn’t be it.

Many thanks Alan. What Noah said made sense, but I knew your input would verify what`s what here so again, I appreciate you opining on this topic.

I believe Zarelto refers to Zalto’s proprietary glass shape for optimal delivery of the blood thinner Xarelto :wink:

1 Like

Hey, if Riedel can have a glass for every grape, why not a Zalto for every cardio-vascular medication?

I need a Zalto sampler pack then.

$10 copay with a prescription.

Ha! That’s probably true. Very well put!

I buy mine through a Canadian restaurant supply/pharmacy. I have to meet with a materials scientist and a physician over the phone first.