Wine Investing Platforms

Man, there are so many red flags here! So much BS!

Our worldwide market access ensures the price you see in your portfolio is the price you receive when you sell.

[scratch.gif]

Vinovest is insured with an FDIC equivalent for wine, protecting each bottle against breakage and loss.

So government-backed wine insurance?

Rhône led all regions with a 2.93% return. The region has gained market share in recent weeks and features three of the top ten performers on Wine Searcher. The 2011 vintage of Chapoutier Ermitage Pavillon set the pace with a 127% return, the best performance of any wine in the quarter. Rhône had four more wines achieve at least 40% growth from Domaine Jean Louis Chave, Beaucastel, and Vieille Julienne. (> Vinovest Q2 2020 report> )

That Rhone return is based on their index of just 10 wines. Though they tout the gain in Chapoutier and three other wines, one can deduce by simple math that the other six index wines showed an average loss of 36.5% in the quarter.

They kind of bury the fact that Vinovest’s return in the second quarter of this year was 1.4%, versus a 25% gain in the S&P500.

What’s your connection to Vinovest? I suspect it’s more than just that having a partner who invested. (I note this is only your second post.)

Perhaps we could do total return swaps, bundle them, tranche them out, wrap them with insurance, bundle those into a single tranched product, and then have the first synthetic wine CDO squared.

John, I am utterly shocked with your skepticism. This sounds like a “AAA” investment.

What is a CDO?

Clareterized Debt Obligation

[wow.gif] How many can I buy at par, after I check with my financial advisors?

It seems like such a bad idea that I want to throw the $1000 minimum at it and see how fast it takes to go to zero!

It’s interesting that they lowered the minimum investment from $5,000 to $1,000. Not enough takers at $5K?

If the investors have direct, physical ownership, would this minimum mean that a highly appreciated trophy bottle then be physically split among them, for redemption settlement? Coravin to the rescue…

The other thing that jumps out at me - which you’ll absolutely get based on your past experience - is that this isn’t really a ‘fund’ as such. Each person has ‘direct ownership’ of their wines and the marketing fluff is all about ‘bespoke investments’. To the extent that’s true I’d think that would spike maintenance costs and eat into any returns, much moreso than if this was truly structured as a ‘fund’.

Think zero chance it is an actual fund (or they didn’t receive any securities/40 Act/FINRA/blue sky advice). Then again, sounds like buying a portion of an orange grove and entering into a service contract (especially with all the investment, portfolio, return, etc. language).

Unfortunately many people call things like this Funds. I see no way this could be a 40 act (ie mutual fund) just due to the lack of liquidity in the assets. I just looked over the web site again which is quite unimpressive group of folks in terms of wine and running commingled products. Only the advisors seems to have real wine experience. Not that, IMHO, it takes a ton of expertise to pick wines to store, hold, and then liquidate. It does take experience. The main people listed are “serial entrepreneurs” which to me pretty much says it all.

Being able to take physical delivery is one of the few things I like in the structure. Most don’t know that many hedge fund (see that name again) actually have the option on a fund winddown to delivery the physical assets. Rarely used but often there. But here it sounds more like a private wine buyer type of thing maybe.

Their line about insurance similar to FDIC I find quite mis-leading which also tells me this is not that regulated.

It sounds similar to what BI Wines in London does. I buy wine from them but don’t invest so I have no idea what sort of returns they’ve had.

I saw that Rally just started into Wine as well. They have been doing cars and sports memorabilia.

It all looks fun, but the best part about owning a classic car or a great bottle of wine is knowing you can also ENJOY it. I can drive my car and maybe it will gain (or at least not lose value).

Wine, I haven’t had the patience to collect for too long yet, but I’m working on it.

Who the flock wants to pay somebody 2.5% annually, to select 1987 Cos d’Estournel as either a drink or investment?

BI Wine dont charge an AMC, or anything like that. They’re a normal wine merchant, typically making their money on margin when they sell wines, or taking commission when they broker wine transactions. They just put more of an investment spin on it than other merchants.

or pay $400 for a bottle of 2016 Climens…

WB should sponsor a new crypto called WineCoin. People who just want to speculate on something called wine can throw their money that way. if it ends up being worth something, the board can sell some and have a Champagne party. If it doesn’t, who cares, but at least it will have diverted “investing” money away from the actual physical product that some of us would rather seen enjoyed and consumed…

I’d be interested to be told (and explained why) if I’m wrong, but I’d assume wine investing has really helped Chateaus to invest in their infrastructure and is at least partly responsible for the increase in quality and consistency in recent years?