Wine Luggage

The only time I’ve gotten over 50 is by putting more bottles on the top

2 Likes

VinGarde 12 bottle carrier was just under 50 lbs. carrying 11 bottles. Mostly Bedrock heavier bottles.

1 Like

Tom’s experience matches mine with VGV. 12 “normal” bottles comes in (just) under 50, but put a few Bedrocks* or Champagnes or the like and you best cap it at 11.

*See one of the Bedrock threads for news that they are transitioning to lighter bottles!

1 Like

If you are flying business class (and you know you are), the weight limit is 70 lbs. No problem. :grin: But it can be a problem getting 12 bottles in if they are all Burgundy or Champagne shapes. You will probably be limited to 5 bottles per side.

2 Likes

@Tom_G_l_a_s_g_o_w and @Dav3_Dyr0ff next time you fill a VGV with 12 bottles and get under 50lb send me a PM with a pic - I’ve never been able to get even close to that, even with super lightweight glass like cheap white Bordeaux bottles. Realizing The Wine Check is 3lb and the VGV is 13.5lb the math just figures itself out…

1 Like

Will do. The last one I know worked was a mixture of Bordeaux and German riesling. 49 pounds, no problem.

2 Likes

Fly business class and its never a problem. 70 lb limit is awesome for that.

1 Like

Fly private! Take as much as you want!

2 Likes

Obviously you need to go re-read the Screagle helicopter thread. :berserker: :berserker: :berserker:

I only fly Airwolf

1 Like

Jumping in on an old thread. Will summarize the VGV points that are similar to my experience and add a couple I have not seen yet:

First and foremost, I have travelled probably 15-20 times with the VGV and never had an issue. The bag has held up well with regards to zippers, handles and wheels.

New stuff (unless I missed it):

1. They are expensive, but the VGV inserts and cooling accessories work great. Have taken the “build your own insert” and travelled with a variety of hard to get beers in different sizes. Have also used the cooling insert to ensure that the wines stayed cool in 100 degree summer weather along multi-connection flight with two long layovers. No problem.

2. I think that VGV has a 50% off sitewide sale every year in April (not positive, but that is when I got mine for half-off). They offer other models on sale at different times of the year (particularly the piccolo).

Confirming:
3) Straps suck and are useless.
4) Think 12 bottles is going to be at 50 lbs or more (I typically take 10 to 11 and am in the 44-46lb range)
5) Really easy to maneuver around the airport once you get rid of the straps (or pull them through the center handles).

1 Like

I don’t know if I still have the straps. I travelled without the straps recently,

The latch on one of my straps broke the first time I flew with my VGV and I had to track down a Phillips head screwdriver in Manhattan to remove it. Going forward I will pack a screwdriver in the case and I bought some new straps that I hope will be more robust.

1 Like

What did you buy?

I got some Samsonite luggage straps, but I haven’t put them to use yet.

2 Likes

Is it easy to find the foam insert for the Wine Check in Europe? The website does show some sellers but I’m not sure how common the insert itself actually is (as opposed to the whole shebang including the bag)

1 Like

I have the same question. Perhaps @Shawnda_H can chime in?

@Patrick_Taylor Lazenne, our partner in EU can help you. Paul and Benedicte, email them at: hello@lionsgate.eu or p.budny@lazenne.com

@pbudny , Can you help @Patrick_Taylor ?

@Patrick_Taylor It’s not that easy to find them unfortunately. With the exception of certain wine regions of Italy, very few carry them. We can ship them to your hotel room or rental anywhere in Europe if you order them from http://lazenne.com.

3 Likes