Wine Maker Tasting Notes or lack there of.....why

This goes back to the trust equation. And I get more gibberish, market speak, and hype fill from the raters (most of whom I don’t trust).

Sometimes a good retailer and seller can be the best and most honest source for wine knowledge, but only if they know your tastes & openness.

I would guess that the vast majority of Willamette Valley wineries have some amount of bottles in library. Some more and some less, but I have at least 5 bottles left of nearly everything. I keep only a case or two of a few cuvees, but most it’s 5-50 cases.

Speaking of Oregon I remember Dave Lett telling me he was amazed other wineries did not keep older vintages of pinot gris around.
I feel safe in saying that if you went to Eyrie at three in the morning Dave’s ghost would find you an older bottle of a Pinot from the Eighties.
Dave also gave me my favorite what to drink with suggestion. He said to pour the wine over my girlfriend’s body and lick it off.

Au Bon Climat has 5000 cases of older wine in their library. I asked Jim if he needed help in emptying some of the bottles and he said he did not have enough.

Methinks many winemaker notes would be too technical and critical for public release. It is always easy to think of how one could have done better.

I think you above comment, “would be too technical and critical for public release. It is always easy to think of how one could have done better.”, is probaby correct. But as a long term patron/customer it sure would be “fun” to get these insights. Maybe I have just gotten tired of the “marketing spin” and would just like to get more insights over time from the artisans.

Most of the wineries I purchase from are small and don’t have library wines to sell so putting together library notes is kinda moot. For me, following the wine after purchase and making up my own mind based on my palate is part of the fun of buying/collecting/enjoying wine. YMMV.

I just looked up the tech sheet for the 2010 Virage red blend I’m about to open, and saw that Emily Richer is updating tasting notes even for her library vintages. I do appreciate the guidance, especially for single bottles that I can’t follow over time.

Another favorite winemaker quote comes from John Williams of Frog’s Leap, who said to me something like ‘I told my staff they can criticize our wine before it is bottled and after it is sold, but in between those times it is the greatest example of that variety every made’

This is great. I will go look. But i still want more…for example “in this vintage/vineyard I changed/or experimented with X, that is what now is resulting in Y”