Wine pairing with music

I tend to like to pair older wines with be-bop. Lots of Mingus and Charlie Parker for me. I think it has as much to do with mood but for me, but thinking wines pair with thinking music.

This is literally Baby Einstein for grapes.

champagne.gif

Well, one possibility … I could name a lot more.

As a composer, conductor and musician (and wine lover) I’d say:
it all depends … if you don’t like Mahler … it’ s nonsense -
if you don’ t like Riesling … the same …

Just like (instrumental) music isn t capable of expressing certain exact meanings … there is no exact kind of wine … for any kind of music.
Just follow your taste and preferences …

For instance I love Mozart and Chambolle-Musigny … or Brahms and Pegau … or Garcia-Fons and Syrah from Languedoc … or The Beatles and a Pomerol … but a Sauvignon blanc is also fine.

Can confirm. The shpeil goes that they commissioned music for each of the sites from which it sources grapes. That part of the tasting is more than a bit hokey.

As another composer, conductor and musician wine lover I need a ‘like’ button for this post. [cheers.gif]
And a big plus 1 on Mozart and Chambolle.

I nearly always pair wine with food but don’t think I’ve ever consider music pairings.
If only I had some home time to experiment…

Pearl Jam & Pinot Noir…For years I remember hearing about the bottles with no labels Eddie Vedder would bring onto stage with him. For some reason I start to crave Pinot Noir when I am listening to Pearl Jam.

Right now I am pairing the 2013 PG Berserker Cuvée to the Grateful Dead while sitting by the pool. It all seems to go well together.

I find the basic rule (which always works) is pairing the wine I feel like drinking with the music I feel like listening to on that evening. That combination always produces the best result. As noted above, can create a psychedelic effect if you are listening to psychedelic music…or a jazzy effect if you’re listening to jazz. But ultimately that is the magic pairing.

Seriously, though, while I may have a personal opinion about what wine would be enjoyable with what music, I absolutely do not believe there are any objective pairings that work or don’t work. It is entirely personal as to what “works”, and somewhat silly to take one person’s “pairing” preference (which of course will vary day to day) and believe it will hold some relevance to a different person.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamber-Music-Cello-Piano-Leaptrott/dp/B07682K4V6/ref=nodl_

The first five tracks of this are wine themed, as they are single tracks I suppose you would have to listen to one on loop while drinking the particular wine, I’ve never tried this myself. Someone else is welcome to do this and post a review.

When I drink wine with music I include the above album in a playlist that mainly has instrumental jazz. But the music is usually not very loud and is more of a backdrop than an accompaniment for me.

Such an interesting area of discussion - and I echo those above who say that music, mood, lighting, etc all truly do affect how a wine tastes and smells. Heck, I tell folks at my tasting room or during live Zoom tastings to smile - for when you’re happy, you have a most ‘positive’ attitude towards a wine than if you’re pissed champagne.gif

I’d love to see a ‘controlled study’ where the same wine or wines are introduced to a group with different types of music playing in the background to see how their tasting notes may be different . . .

Cheers.

I think I’ve actually participated in all 8 or 9 of Hardy’s weekly Saturday wine/music extravaganzas…and the music is not an afterthought…Eric “Benny” Bloom and Borahm Lee are bringing the jazz/free jazz/acid jazz vibe to the party and it works…looking forward to getting the EP.

For casual wines, J Cash.

For “serious” wines, T Monk.

It’s all good!